Gabion retaining structure

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
I have an issue which both planning and highways are interested in.
I recently started an extension and part of the planning application was to rearrange the garden to introduce parking and turning within our site. Up until now, we have had a 'pull-in' which we had to reverse out of, down the lane and reverse onto the highway.....not ideal with 3 kids in the car.
The planning drawing showed the new drive and parking area and had levels on it indicating the level of the land - it did not specifically note a retaining structure - I didn't notice this on the drawings but the levels show the parking area above the highway level. The planner had been to site before and during the planning process so was aware of the up and down site we have.
There is no record of highways being consulted by the planner which I thought would be standard practice - normally there is at least a condition of turning space, vision splays or driveway materials.
The planner now says the retaining gabions are an unlawful development and highways are saying we have encroached on the highway by building in 'their' verge'. When asked where the boundary was for my site, i was told it is somewhere in the hedgerow. The road narrows and widens, had hedgerow one minute then not.....
Highways want me to move a 12m x 1.5m x 1m gabion structure back 500mm and planning want a separate planning application for it. We paid a premium to have the gabion stone built on the face rather than just tipped in and everyone who passes mentions how good they look.
Any thoughts?
Thanks,
Dave.

Sponsored Links
Sounds a nightmare.

If you can't get help here the gardenlaw site has some posters who have a lot of knowledge re issues like this. They are very strong on boundaries, which can be complicated.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back