Gable door over utility room flat roof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
While building the gable I left an opening for a door that opens out onto the flat roof of the utility room below.

The flat roof has not been constructed yet and the door has not been ordered. The opening is about 1m wide by 2m tall.

Are there any regulations about a required minimum distance of the door's cill to the flat roof below?

Sponsored Links
Initially for fire escape from upstairs, but also for the view, light in the bedroom etc

Because the flat roof will be sloping the flat roof approaches the door's cill... I am not sure if this is allowed or whether there ought to be a minimum height of the door's cill to the flat roof ?

Attachments

• 2022-03-10 21_09_43-laundry-flat-roof.pdf - Foxit Reader.jpg
    2022-03-10 21_09_43-laundry-flat-roof.pdf - Foxit Reader.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 98
Curious, Changing subject... what span is the flat roof?

Is 175 timber deep enough?

Sponsored Links
150mm upstand for the flat roof covering would normally be expected, BC may expect the flat roof joists to be adequate for use as a floor and also a suitable guarding (ie handrail around the roof) if he suspects you're gonna use the flat roof as a balcony.

If there is a door it IS a balcony so on top of things Freddie mentions above I'm sure the Planning Department will have something to say about it.

Regarding the door threshold height, whilst I agree that the norm is 150mm (as with DPC at ground level) I do not see why you couldn't have a level threshold, like you can at ground level, provided there is a robust weathering detail to prevent damp tracking across under the door sill.

To avoid any "issues" I'd go for a nice big feature tilt and turn window. But 2mx1m is pretty massive.

Curious, Changing subject... what span is the flat roof?

Is 175 timber deep enough?
The flat roof has been specified as 150x50@300 or 150x75@400 (on the same plans, depends on what page you're on) - span is about 3800. I decided on 175x50 to allow more insulation in between rafters for the U value.

provided there is a robust weathering detail to prevent damp tracking across under the door sill.
I will speak to the roofer about this, as the flat roof has not been constructed yet, he may have ideas.

BC are visiting next Wednesday. I will ask them what they think, as it's not built yet.

As above about planning issues- if you have a doorway onto that roof it becomes a raised platform which is a very different planning scenario from a flat roofed extension as well as a hornet's nest of handrails, roof structure etc. Fill in the bottom metre of the doorway, stick a tilt turn window in for emergency escape & you'll have far fewer problems

Appreciate all the advice. I understand you cannot have a freely opening door into an unsafe flat roof. But if you have, during initial build, or later, who is ever going to know? Or stick a couple of rails and call it "Juliette balcony"? I think this is what I am going to do.

That would need 1100 high balustrade all around.

I suppose it could have railings like you get on a Juliet balcony

First, wants to know if there are any regulations
Are there any regulations about a required minimum distance of the door's cill to the flat roof below?

Then, what if there are, who cares?

I understand you cannot have a freely opening door into an unsafe flat roof. But if you have, during initial build, or later, who is ever going to know?

Just do what you like then, regulations smegulations.

Balconies are very contentious and frowned upon by planners and those overlooked. Many are turned down or forcibly removed.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back