Gable end rebuild

@ree;

So many questions!

What you call a 'shed-roof dormer' will actually be an original outrigger, with the roof at right-angles to the main roof (very common layout in houses up to WW1).

The outrigger rafters are supported off lay boards nailed down to the main rafters on the rear-facing slope.

Obviously we can't see any bulging due to the angle, but if it is not caused by subsidence, a possible cause might have been wind suction, even though the house on the right seems to be intact.

Such tall walls do occasionally go, particularly when there is an outrigger. Unlike modern requirements, there was generally little or no tying of the wall to the floor, ceiling or roof, which leaves it largely un-restrained. Presumably the stairs run up that wall, which also leaves a section of the wall unrestrained, though the collapse hasn't gone that far down.

Difficult to see whether it is cavity-wall or not, but judging by the fancy terra-cotta detail at the door, the house is probably Edwardian, so likely to be solid 9" wall. What may look like headers are often just snap headers for cheapness, as those red bricks would be expensive compared with the commons.

Perhaps Woody will enlighten us some time?

Sponsored Links
I thought it would be 9" brickwork too, but from one of the images it looks like there are ties hanging out - look like the old fishtale ties. And the way the wall has peeled, implies a cavity wall.

It was not windy around here on that day, either, but perhaps there was just enough of a gust to pull the wall out.

tony1851,

Hands up to you, i think that you have it right - thank you for the corrections.

The "angled rafter" in my item 7. is presumably a valley?

Ref the "shed roof dormer" flank: what appeared to me as the verge line of the original common bricks can be seen, above it the brickwork changes color. Or maybe thats how i see it on the pic?

I'm not sure what your ref to Facing brick snap headers means in the context of the gable wall?

The cause: perhaps a lack of ties, thermal movement, and a sudden gust of wind.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back