Gaelic ambulance

They were on about interpreters on the radio this week

cases of people in court or in plod stations or at other places who cannot speak English very well and rely on designated interpreters who are basically s hit e at the lauguage they are supposed to be proficient in (?)

one case of some mother attempting to get a court order / help against her violent husband

the interpreter basically f ed it up big time

total disgrace tbh
£50 for the first hour, notch says they're fit young men who don't need services, take it they must pay it back when they're up and running

Sponsored Links
I think that's the whole point, Holyrood want to keep it alive.
There's a Gaelic school in Edinburgh.
Yes which is obviously fine i.e. wanting to stop the language from dying out. What I find illogical is having it as the predominant language on certain things e.g. signs, vehicles.

What I find illogical is having it as the predominant language on certain things e.g. signs, vehicles.
If you go to any of the Balearic islands, you'll find that the signs are in three languages. The first is Catalan, then Castellano, then English.

Sponsored Links
I just find it slightly farcical. Yes it's Scotland, yes it has a traditional language from decades/centuries gone by, however around 1% of folk regularly speak it present day. So to have signs etc with Gaelic as the dominant language is to me ridiculous. We have a local park with a welcome sign, it says welcome in Gaelic in larger font, then welcome in English underneath in slightly smaller font.

As I say, of course it's no biggy in the grand scheme of things, I just find it illogical. Fine, have Gaelic on the signs etc, but in smaller font given hardly anyone uses it.
When I went to the Isle of Lewis for a holiday I found that Gaelic was the predominant language - particularly on a Sunday. I'd even say that some of the locals understanding of English (not Scottish) was pretty poor.

Still, they did 'Observe the Sabbath' to the extent the council locked the children's playground swings, etc up so they couldn't be used!

Back