Gaining entry to gas employment

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I wonder if anyone could give me any help or advice on how to gain employment in the gas industry?

I have been on the british gas website for some time with no joy.

I see a lot of these training centre's but some get a bad press.

I am 31 years old. I work as a technician for an electronics company and educated to NC/HNC/HND level in electronics.

There is nothing in the way of courses except the ACS but you have to be experienced to do this.

Anyone have any idea's?

Sponsored Links
NVQ, through college/night school.

But why the hell do you want to get into this game, it aint all its craiced up to be, heavily legislated and long often unsociable hours.

Oh and you aint gunna make the money you see advertised that comes after years of experience.

With your qualies I would look at getting a cert ed, D32/D33 and going into teaching you trade ;)

Thanks for the reply.

I want out of electronics all together.

I know for a fact i would enjoy doing the gas and im not expecting to earn big money.

Its a skilled job where you get 'out and about' and meet people. Not stuck in doors all day with the same people and same chat. The electronics industry has taken a hammering. I have escaped being paid off a few times now.

If i lost my job i would struggle to find other employment i think.

I looked at my local college's for NVQ's but seen nothing.

Would this be an NVQ in gas or plumbing?

Wouldn't being an electrician be more of a natural switch? They always seem happier for some reason aswell! :)

NVQ2 in plumbing would be a good place to start. You need a work placment and could take a year or two to complete.

NVQ3 would then cover more of the htg and gas side, again another year.

If you've now got 3+ yrs plumbing/heating experience working with someone then you can think bout the ACS.

It all comes down to getting a work placment aswell as living on apprentice wages (if your lucky!) as well as course fees..

Please dont be tempted by the intense courses they are a waste of money.
I also read a statistic the other day that currently 27,000 people are enrolled on plumbing courses. 1500 will probably get a full time job out of it.

Remember theres hundreds of jobs that dont invlove sitting in an office and as for meeting people...all i can say is you better enjoy your own company.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the reply.

So even doing a NVQ2 i still need a work placement?.

The more i look into this the more down hearted i get.

My 32y/o son has just joined me in the business (after I told him that his inhertitance was being spent :LOL: ). He has been to college (Saturday mornings for 13 weeks down here) to get ACS and is in the process of working towards CORGI reg'n but in the meantime he will be learning from The Master :evil:

<Cue Rogue Traders "I Can't Decide" [for Dr Who fans] :cool: >

I can only find NVQ 2 in plumbing through 'on-line' learning?

Costing a grand.

I will call my local college's tommorow to see if they do this course in the evening's.

You`re well over qualified ,M8...2 o levels for plumbing ;) Deffo stick to electrics .and if you want to play with pipes .do commercial and install conduit...as for meeting people :LOL: most are anii who only want you to fix what`s broken- job`d be good without the customers :rolleyes:

Follow your heart is what I say....

The ups:

+ Out & about
+ Be your own boss
+ A "reasonable" wage depending on experience/area
+ Everyday is a challenge
+ Responsibility; clients look up to you as a professional

The downs:

+ Very lonely - For all the people you meet - x5 of that is in the van/solitary working
+ Some clients will settle for nothing less than "impossible" solutions
+ ACS/CORGI/Insurance in this game is VERY expensive
+ Paperwork/Legislation - And not all of it is for the good of the people
+ Responsibility; if it goes wrong - You just killed a family
+ Responsibility; despite the professional status you will not be officially classed as an "Engineer" by the professor people[/list]

I've been on the British gas site to no avail Paul. I recon it's gonna be a case of who you know rather than what you know.British gas will train you up if you do get in. My bosses son was trained as an engineer then somehow jumped ship to british gas. he's doing maintenance rather than install and likes the job a lot.

Sponsored Links
Back