Gainsborough 1000

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Got a Gaingsborough 1000 (pre 2004 model) and all of a sudden just had scalding hot water from the shower head... Would this be the thermo cut out switch which has broken, can this been replaced or new shower fitted?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
if the tco had gone the water would be cold.

has the flow reduced at all ?

That was my thought....

No reduction in flow of water what so ever (as I am told) friend was having a shower and she just said 'all of a sudden, hot scalding water started flowing through' she put the dial on cold but still hot scalding water... Any other reason why this would happen?

Sponsored Links
Without stating the obvious, cold water enters the shower and through the heat exchanger and hence hot water... So cold water entering shower unit...

OK, if running shower without head on, what am I aiming for and what results should I get...

electric showers work on the princable that the slower the water gos through the heat tank the hotter it is.

restricting the water will make it hotter.
showerheads when they start to limescale up restrict the flow so causing the water to go through the tank slower.

if no improvement with shower head/hose check the filter which is located in the mains water feed pipe where it enters the shower.

Hello

Have just been informed she had replaced the hose and head which now opens up another set of questions...

Being electric shower, should they have a certain type of hose and head, i.e.. A minimum diameter hose leading to the head etc. She's bought a £20 hose and head, would this be a simple basic one from the local DIY store as I know cheap and cheerful ones are no good, or half decent one.
The original one 'wasn't working correctly' and has been thrown away, will it be good to invest in a Gainsborough head and hose

what was wrong with the old one ?
was it working ok with the new one or did it play up soon as you fitted it ?

they can affect showers by fitting different heads etc.
if you fit a restricted head its quite common to blow the prv

I'm lead to believe it was working OK for a while with the new hose and head then started playing up...

Old one, no idea, all I was told, shower wasn't working correctly and she replaced it... Sorry but have no more info, will ask and post ASAP

have you tried it without the hose/head least you'll know if it is that or the filter etc.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back