Gallows bracket pulled out of wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Everyone,

I have gallows brackets either side of an upstairs bay window in my 1950s house, which appear to give some support to the roof over the bay. One of these brackets has slightly pulled away from the wall, partially bringing a brick with it where the top of the gallows bracket enters the wall and also cracking the air brick underneath that brick:

View media item 39033View media item 39034
It would appear that it was like this when the soffit boards were fitted (about ten years ago, if the upvc soffit boards were fitted at the same time as the windows) as the soffit board appears to have been fitted up to the protruding brick, which is perhaps why it is not fitted flush to the brickwork of the house above the small bedroom alongside. Maybe the bracket was even pulled away when the soffit board was fitted?

I'd any welcome thoughts on whether this is something I need to address and, if so, what action should be taken.

Many thanks.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back