Galvanic Corrosion

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All, I need to fit a couple of angle brackets to the below aluminium track on the top of my campervan, and will then be fitting a slotted channel to the angle bracket, and then running 2 x slotted channels off of of that slotted chanel running to another slotted channel on the other side of the van that I'm going to install.

This is to install solar panels.

Problem is I purchased all hardware in stainless steel.....

I was planning on fitting a stainless steel channel nut into the below aluminium slotted channel but this will then suffer from Galvanic Corrosion.....

Any ideas? Even if I was to manage to get hold of some aluminium channel nuts, the screws are still stainless steel going into that aluminum channel nut....

All fixings need to be strong and secure as this is for mounting solar panels to the roof.

Attachments

• IMG_20220122_161750.jpg
    IMG_20220122_161750.jpg
    216.8 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG_20220122_161014.jpg
    IMG_20220122_161014.jpg
    152 KB · Views: 80
Sponsored Links
Consider using aluminium / aluminium alloy nuts and bolts that you find in greenhouses.......some of them clearly are quite tough and should do what you need.
John :)

Consider using aluminium / aluminium alloy nuts and bolts that you find in greenhouses.......some of them clearly are quite tough and should do what you need.
John :)

Many Thanks John didn't even know you could get them many thanks!! :)

Sponsored Links
You could try searching for aluminium "T-nuts". There are certainly loads on eBay, but they seem to be zinc plated steel. I don't know if anyone makes aluminium ones. However, this is a common problem in the marine industry and a lot of yachts have stainless fitting going into aluminium. I don't think stainless and aluminium are too far apart in the galvanic series. For fittings where it might become a problem, manufacturers usually just assemble them with an isolating paste like "Duralac".

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/321419274982?epid=1467313646&hash=item4ad614eae6:g:wjQAAOxyBPZTiIyo

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Back