Gap around internal UPVC frame

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

We have some fairly old UPVC windows in a Victorian property which seems to have a pretty large and deep gap in one section of the frame where I can feel a draft. There's some material along the length of it already, not sure if that was done during installation or at a later point, but it's a lot of it is missing. I've attached some pictures, but just want to know what the best way to try and fill it is. I've seen about expanding foam, but I'm not sure how that will end up looking after its been applied, or if I should put something on top of it to finish.

Thanks in advance

Attachments

• PXL_20221117_180427181.jpg
    PXL_20221117_180427181.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 71
  • PXL_20221117_180327897.jpg
    PXL_20221117_180327897.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 67
  • InkedPXL_20221117_180402998.jpg
    InkedPXL_20221117_180402998.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 73
Sponsored Links
Polymer grab.

Ct1 or Ob1 type.

Masking tape either side of gap. Run down getting plenty in.
Finger or tool it.
Pull tape.
Run finger or tool down for final time.
That trim coming off needs polymer grap behind and push back on.
Masking down front to protect plastic from marking and pile up something against to hold back for few hours

Polymer grab.

Ct1 or Ob1 type.

Masking tape either side of gap. Run down getting plenty in.
Finger or tool it.
Pull tape.
Run finger or tool down for final time.
That trim coming off needs polymer grap behind and push back on.
Masking down front to protect plastic from marking and pile up something against to hold back for few hours

Hey thanks for the reply. I'm not sure an adhesive would do the trick, I think that would work for the trim coming off on the window side, but on the wall side where the gap is largest it doesnt seem to be due to it flexing away from the wall, either the gap was like that when the initial installation has happened or something has moved, but there's no way you could push that back against the wall to stick it, also the stuff thats been put in there previously to bridge the gap is quite solid

Sponsored Links
Stuff in there is probably Stelmax . You have two choices , pull of existing trims and retrim ( bearing in mind the trim may be superglued to the window and leave a mess on removal ) ,or reseal with any proprietary caulk/silicone . Those gaps look sealable to me

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back