How best to fill in gaps round window frame

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm really stuck with this one. I've just finished a window frame, but as it's going into rough granite surround there are loads of gaps around the frame - particularly along the top - which need filling and weather proofing. Do I fill with mortar and leave a groove next to the frame to fill with silicon sealant, or just fill all the gaps with expansion foam? If I go the expansion foam route, how to I finish it afterwards so I can paint etc? Or is there some suitable filler I could use instead? I'm having a upvc unit I need to fit in a larger opening with similar issues so I need to solve this one!

Thanks.

IMAG1022.jpg

Sponsored Links
I'd be poking some stone chips tightly into the gaps and then pointing up - pressing the mortar very firmly into place......there's no reason for it to leak afterwards if its done well.
John :)

I'd be poking some stone chips tightly into the gaps and then pointing up - pressing the mortar very firmly into place......there's no reason for it to leak afterwards if its done well.

Thanks John. I was just worried that with a little wood shrinkage/movement, the mortar may eventually crack where it meets the wood. If I was to mortar flush with the frame and then carve out a small groove where it meets the wood and fill this with some good silicon. do you think that may help?

Thanks for that erm... god. It's a good solution, but maybe a bit overkill for my man cave project.

Sponsored Links
When I bought my present house in 1986 (a stone and brick tumbledown wreck) I made the window frames from sapele mahogany, fitted them and pointed up the gaps with stiff sand and cement mix. To date there has been very little shrinkage indeed, but where it has shown I've just gone over the gap with glazing silicone, pushing it well in. The timber has been finished with Sadolin wood stain and as the property frontage faces west it has had a good test!
By all means create a groove in yours, if you'd be happier doing that.....it certainly can't do any harm.
Good luck with your project!

Thanks for that John, very reassuring! I guess more fool me in using cheap pine timber which may well bring a tad more shrinkage so I will create a groove for some silicone sealant I think. As well as soaking the timber in gallons of preservative! It makes some sense in my little head at least :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back