Gap between Bath and Wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

What is the ideal size of gap between the top of the bath (tap end) and the wall? Or should it be flush? The wall will be tiled.

Many thanks
Georgie

Sponsored Links
If it's not square (very common) just build it out to square with bonding or tile adhesive.

If it's not square (very common) just build it out to square with bonding or tile adhesive.

Currently, the gap between the bath and the wall is 2 cms so thats a bit too big for me to build out. The wall at the top of the bath is a stud wall so I am going to remove the aqua board and change the battons to larger sizes. What I need to know is should the bath be flush against the wall or should there be a small gap of 2 or 3mm?

Many thanks

Currently, the gap between the bath and the wall is 2 cms so thats a bit too big for me to build out. The wall at the top of the bath is a stud wall so I am going to remove the aqua board and change the battons to larger sizes. What I need to know is should the bath be flush against the wall or should there be a small gap of 2 or 3mm?

Many thanks

Oh! So the bath is in a recess! That wasn't clear in your post.
It doesn't matter - 3mm play will make it easier for you to get bath in and you can give it an initial seal against the wall with silicone.
Don't change the studs on the head wall, just add furring strips to them to pack it out before retacking with the aquapanel.

Sponsored Links
Oh! So the bath is in a recess! That wasn't clear in your post.
It doesn't matter - 3mm play will make it easier for you to get bath in and you can give it an initial seal against the wall with silicone.
Don't change the studs on the head wall, just add furring strips to them to pack it out before retacking with the aquapanel.

Sorry, I'm never clear lol.

Just another thing, is it OK to tile the bathroom after I've fitted the bath. I'm only going to tile the bath area and have the rest of the bathroom painted.

Yeah, it's the norm to seal in the edge of the bath where the edges touch the wall as a 1st fix, are you using batons along the wall to fit the bath onto? Then seal again along the top edge of the bath and the wall, then tile down to bath and then seal again at tile edge or use internal tile edging/tile seal if needed.

Key Tip: always use a good quality silicone to get a lasting finish

Sorry, I'm never clear lol.

Just another thing, is it OK to tile the bathroom after I've fitted the bath. I'm only going to tile the bath area and have the rest of the bathroom painted.

Yes. It's quite common to just tile the 'wet area' around a bath or shower enclosure. Also a splashback of tiles behind the basin. Use a bathroom paint for the rest of the room - so that moisture/condensed steam won't affect it!

Can anyone give me a good video link for installing a bath for a DIY person?

My bath is in situe albeit not quite to my liking, so I'd like to take it out and make sure it is put back properly.

yes, I've tried youtube - there are plenty of videos, but I watched one where a man screwed 2 by 2 to the wall and made a frame under to help the bath stay in place. Another video, the chap didn't use wood but masticked the bath in place.

My nephew has put my bath in and he hasn't made a frame. He said he was going to mastick it, but he hasn't been back to do it yet. He's made a bit of a mess with my plumbing and tbh, I'd rather have a go myself. Hence watching a decent video so that I feel confident that I'm doing the right thing.

My key points for fitting a bath would be -

Acrylic - I always use batons along the walls it touches and frame the front if you are good with wood - makes for a much more stable bath. Judge it so the bath just rests on them to minimise flexing but does not support it's full weight, that's what's the cradle's for.
Wooden floor - try to use spreaders for the feet
Walls as square as possible
Level the bath across it's width at the top, 1/3, 2/3 + bottom and along both long top edges
Watch your height for floor tiles and fitting the bath panel, measure the height of the panel 1st and set bath accordingly, usually around 520mm, most panels are around 530mm.
Fill bath full of water before measuring and setting in.
Seal three times - seal to batons and wall the bath egdes onto, fill with water, then seal along top edges at wall, then again once tiled.
Ensure suitable fall for the waste.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back