Gap between extensions

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have just completed a GF extention to our property which, like our neighbour's, extends 4m from the rear wall of the house. Although the perimeters are the same, the single pitch of our roof is shallower meaning that there is c2/3rds of the roof which rises above our neighbour's roof at the point where they abut. The roofer has applied flashing which comes from under our tiles and is resting c4inches onto the neighbour's tiles to weatherpoof the c 2inch gap between the two walls.
Our neighbour is very unhappy about this and says we shouldn't be 'using' his roof in anyway. We have asked three seperate roofers to look at the job and all have confirmed this is the best way to weatherproof the gap (which is better for both of us).
I'm clear that we would need party wall approval if we were cutting the flashing in, but given this is just resting on the neighbours roof, I'm struggling to see what the issue is.
Neighbour is refusing to appoint his own surveyor saying this is my problem and I need to sort it out but obviously I don't want to spend £££ putting 'right' something that is 'right' in the first place!
Any advice appreciated...

Sponsored Links
Here you go, good point!

Attachments

• IMG_0012.JPG
    IMG_0012.JPG
    153.4 KB · Views: 437
  • IMG_0010.JPG
    IMG_0010.JPG
    149 KB · Views: 446
Sponsored Links
We were constrained by the height of the French doors which is why the pitch is different... not ideal but i guess not totally uncommon/unheard of.

I have to say the new roof doesn't look great and the junction between the 2 is very shabby.

However, putting that aside for the moment the neighbour technically does have a point. I would expect to see a flashing/upstand detail along the full length of the roof junction (something like this http://www.roof-flashing.info/applications.php?id=34) but if the neighbour is refusing to allow the flashing to be dressed down over his roof you don't have a lot of choice.

Thanks for the comment but I don't think an upstand would work because of the differing pitch?

An upstand would have worked and could have solved the problem and agreement should have been sought prior to construction to get proper agreement from your neighbour. If agreement could not be achieved you should have had a gap.

It's not a party wall issue.

If the neighbour does not want it flashed, then offer to form an upstand/parapet on your wall and advise him that you will have no responsibility for any damp into his property.

Advise him further that if he then wants to flash his roof into your wall, you will expect him to serve you a party structure notice under section 2 of the Party Wall Act. Remind him of the costs of this - probably about £1k.

It's not a party wall issue.

If the neighbour does not want it flashed, then offer to form an upstand/parapet on your wall and advise him that you will have no responsibility for any damp into his property.

Advise him further that if he then wants to flash his roof into your wall, you will expect him to serve you a party structure notice under section 2 of the Party Wall Act. Remind him of the costs of this - probably about £1k.

Is cutting an abutment flashing into a neighbour's flank wall a party wall issue?

Thanks for the comment but I don't think an upstand would work because of the differing pitch?

Yes it would, it would just have to be offset to accomodate the change in pitch so it would start flush at the top of the slope and as it comes down the slope the neighbour's side would be lower but it is academic as the neighbour is refusing to let you have a flashing on his roof.

So either you launch a charm offensive and buy the neighbour chocolates and flowers to try and win him over or as other have suggested you will have to build a parapet upstand along your flank wall. Chocolates and flowers will be cheaper.

Regardless of the technical issues, your neighbour is perfectly entitled to ask you not to place anything on his roof without his permission. It would have been better to ask permission beforehand, and agreed the best technical solution.

Thanks all. Would happily have discussed in advance but I foolishly didn't cover this specific aspect with the builder. off to the florist as we speak...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back