gap between floor boards and wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have a kitchen which was striped back and replastered and then the units were fitted. There was a gap between the floorboards and the plastered walls. This gap is covered by the skirting board where there are not units. However, where there are units the gap is present. This is not a problem in the summer but as it gets to winter a breeze blows up from the vent block, straight up the gap and then into the room via the kick board at the bottom.

As I see it there are two options: seal the gap in the kick boards or seal the gap between the floor and the wall. Sealing the gap between the wall and the floor seems the best bet as doing a tidy job on the kick boards will be trickier.

Assuming that i want to seal the gap between the floor and the wall is expanding foam suitable or can anyone suggest and alternative?

Sponsored Links
I am presuming the floor boards have been left as a feature floor?

I would probably use a filler that was flaxible rather than a foam that 'goes off' hard. In previous years pure cork has been used & this is ideal, you can also purcase flexible fillers from builders merchants or DIY stores that will do the trick. It just allows the wooden floor to move as it heats up & cools.

Sorry, i should have explained my problem better:

The floorboards are not a feature, there is laminate on top.

My question should have been: Is it OK to seal the gap around the floor and wall or is it needed to let the under floor cavity breath?

Should i fill the gap with expanding foam, flexible filler or something like newspaper or cork?

Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back