Floorboard and Brick Gap

• Thread starter Deleted member 216148
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 216148

I'm having a suspended wooden floor replaced and insulated.

I realize a gap will be left between the floorboards and the brick wall (which the skirting/base boards will cover when new ones are fitted).

However the sub floor is really well ventilated and I'm worried about drafts coming under the skirting/base boards and would like to seal it off (also to prevent bugs and such coming up from the sub floor).

What's best to seal this gap between floorboard and brick wall? I imagine the gap will be 1cm or less to allow the floor to expand/contract.

So far I've thought of the following but would like advice:

- Expanding foam (but this dries hard so won't allow much flexibility)
- Backing rod (but will this manage to stay in place permanently?)
- Some kind of heavy duty tape (but I can't find anything which will permanently stick to wood and also brick)

Any advice is great, thanks!

Sponsored Links
I think an expanding floor would easily compress any expanding foam. I plan to use this around the edges of my T&G chipboard floor when I lay it.

Last edited:
Thanks for your reply. My only concern with expanding foam was that compressing it would cause it to break and over time disintegrate.

Could you not use silicone or caulk around the bottom of the skirting board. Thats what i plan on doing and also to fill in the gaps in the floorboards.

Sponsored Links
The floorboards would stop a few mm short of the walls, but the insulation should be tight against it, with expanding foam where needed too. So nothing further should be required.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back