Gap between hearth and fireplace

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I have a pewter fire insert. It’s just for aesthetics! It has a marble surround. There’s a gap between the insert and the surround. Any ideas on how I can fill this gap please?is there some kind of flexible edging ?! Thanks

Sponsored Links
Hi
I have a pewter fire insert. It’s just for aesthetics! It has a marble surround. There’s a gap between the insert and the surround. Any ideas on how I can fill this gap please?is there some kind of flexible edging ?! Thanks
A photo would probably generate several ideas.

Thank you

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    193.8 KB · Views: 357
What kind of size gap is that? 5mm, 10mm?
More than 5mm, I would suggest expanding foam, followed by (after trimming) a coloured silicone sealant, or even a slate sealant which will be the correct colour.
Maybe a filler that is used for lead work on roofs.
As said, if greater than about 5mm, Expanding foam, trimmed with a suitable depression to allow the 'lead work' filler to cover the surface.

Sponsored Links
I would mask up the area with masking tape before using anything like expandable foam otherwise you could make a right mess.

Not entirely sure the cure wouldn't be worse than the disease here, how bad does the gap look when you're just sitting in the room?

As the fire is non-functioning you could take a look at wooden trim painted or unpainted (depending on what you like) using grab adhesive to get it in place.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back