Gap between lintels

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi - my hubby is currently replacing 2 long Windows (go down to skirting board) with one wide window.

Between the two was a plasterboard pillar that was about 2 foot.

He has bricked up the bottom area so we now have 2 top windows with 2 feet of bricks between.

These bricks need removing along with the 2 narrow Windows then the new window will fit into the space.

So far so good?!

There is a steel lintel above the window(s) but we've just noticed there is actually 2 lintels with a gap of about 1/2 inch between them.

What can we do? It looked like 1 continuous lintel - can we bolt the gap somehow? It really is tiny?
Thanks

Sponsored Links
You need to remove the two lintels and fit one new one that is the correct specification for the job. You would have to use props to support the existing structure, very important to either do this right or get a builder to do it.

Was afraid you were going to say that - hubby can do all that it's just a lot more work for such a tiny gap?
Is there no way to bracket them? It's actually not even 1/2 inch - more like a cm?
Thanks (hubbys at work so was just trying to find out before I break the news - only saw the gap as I was cleaning brick dust?!

Sponsored Links
The brick peer was holding up the middle with the lintels sitting on it? You now have no support for your window opening?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back