How does my lintel look?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Novice here, so some stupid questions first. I assume the blue steel beam I'm seeing between the window frame and bricks is the lintel yes??
As you can see from the picture there seems to be a gap between the this lintel and brickwork...around 1 cm in the midpoint. The window is 3.6m wide, quite wide by modern standards I think. On the inside, there are some cracks in the plaster along the width of the window about 10cm up from the edge.
The house was built in 1969. We had a fairly thorough survey done when we bought the house, but this wasn't mentioned. Any opinion as to how worried we should be?? How easy is it to fix a sagging lintel? We intend to change the window next year, possibly bricking it up to waist level, but keeping the width.

View media item 9734
View media item 9735
View media item 9736

Sponsored Links
The lintel was tight on the old frame and when the plastic window was fitted the front of the lintel has sagged. The cracks at the bearing are most likely related to the window fitting too.

Its not a problem, the wall has stayed put and the lintel is not going anywhere.

Just repoint it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back