putting french doors where an existing window is sited

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
above the existing window there seems to be some type of supporting metal beam/lintel and line of bricks above this beam are placed LLLLL not the conventional longnitudal way !___! !___!

how hard would it be to install french doors (same width as existing opening). is it a case of hole in wall above the lintel, support the wall, make the opening big enough and re brick with new frame installed??

or am i making this should a wee be too easy??

1940's building 2 skin london brick i think. Feel free rip me to pieces as its my first house and i`m pretty new to DIY.

although i`m a young civil engineer...

regards

Alex

Sponsored Links
If your not increasing the width of the opening then the support is already sufficient for that and its just a case of removing the wall below the existing window frame.

sounds like our 50s semi in worcester - an extension has been added and french doors have been used to access the extension.

wherabouts in worcester are you?

Sponsored Links
Thanks for replies!

so the opening will not require supporting when removing the window? i can then attack the lower part of the wall, install french doors and then tidy as per neccesary?

based in stourport, worcester side of the severn. I`m hoping to put the french doors there for the pation to the garden, and maybe later on put a conservatory there.

cheers

alex

Done this to our 40's semi.

Took brickwork out below window and bobs your sisters nephews wifes uncle...

Only problem we had was that we had to have doors very tall, cause the window lintel is a lot higher than a normal door..

Looks ok though..

Infact, Here take a look for yourself... Before you do, the room looks a lot better now its finally finished :D

http://www.phenomenalfireworks.co.uk/images/patio doors.jpg

wow, thanks for that!

that picture is very scary... its so like what will be our living room its untrue!

the orientation is very similar ! even the beam spanning the room is in a similar position. Although its curently supported at the left hand edge by a small wall.. i really want that wall out so it looks like a new beam will be required.

cheers for pic, also where did you get the doors from? thats a great heads up on the height problem, never even considered it!

yep sounds like your house is very simular to mine...

We also had a small protruding wall that we knocked out... Here is another piccie..

www.phenomenalfireworks.co.uk/images/acro.jpg

The wall ended about the place where the acro prop is

had lots of fun with the house... I am putting a roof on the extension i built at the moment. now that is starting to do my head in

here are a few of some of the things already done.

www.phenomenalfireworks.co.uk/house.php

wow! cheers for the pics.

with removing that small wall, was there a beam already installed across the room? and you therefore just installed a larger one

i ask as thats our current situation, we have a beam spanning across the room and its supported on that small wall which sticks out and is quite annoying

Alex,

Yes, I removed the old beam and installed a new one. broke into the cavity wall, installed a pad stone and sat the new beam in place.

You can even do it with a narrower window like we have. We have tall ceilings and so tall windows - here we got round it with designing in a glazed upvc piece which is situated over the doors.

Only put these in last week, so work still to be done re plastering etc. You can even see I have to find some matching bricks to block up the old door way too yet. Obviously the new kitche hasnt been fully completed yet either.

The doors are easily large enough for easy access etc, the camera angle and height does make them look narrower but all is well! Just shows that you can put these things in where a variety of diferent sized windows are..

3ddbre2.jpg

Yes, even new windows require planning. In this country it seems sometimes that even taking a sh*t reqiuires government approval.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back