Gap between roof tiles

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

New to the forum and looking for some advice on gaps in my roof tiles. It's an old terraced house and upon looking in the loft there are two near identical gaps between the roof tiles on the rear bottom of the property. I have attached a picture of them (the picture is of one , there is another identical one other side of the roof). I'm concerned this will let rain through and shouldn't be there, or are they purposely there for ventilation. I couldn't get close enough at the time to expect for damp or anything. Any advice would be great! If it's an issue, can anyone advice the best DIY approach to fix this from in the loft , and what product to use? Flashing tape maybe?

Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_1601.JPG
    IMG_1601.JPG
    42.1 KB · Views: 3,109
Sponsored Links
Tiles are normally replaced from the outside. Flashbanding on the inside will fall off in summer because roofs get that hot.
There basically two styles of tiles, one is that they are nailed to the laths(horizontal bits of wood) the other, the tiles have little moulded on lumps, called nibs. these are just hooked over the laths. so which style have you got?
Frank

I honestly dont know and I'm not at the property right now sadly. It appears slow the tiles there is signs off fallen cement/filler which has fallen from the gapped area, maybe a previous DIY job possibly... I've a feeling I maybe calling a roofer :(

It appears there was previously filler / concrete there before. I'm considering trying to fill between the tiles with Polycell All Weather Filler?

Sponsored Links
Filler will not achieve anything.
In practise every fourth layer of roof tiles are nailed to the battens, as you only have a couple or so missing you should be able to lift the tile above the missing tile,
have a dig around to remove any remnants of the old broken tile or nails using a long flat piece of metal or purchase a Slaters Ripper to do the job, lay the tile on the Ripper and slide the new tile in until the nibs drop over the tile batten i
once locked in place, whack a bit of silicon under the new tile to stop it slipping further.

thfaisr1.jpg

When using a ladder tie it off to stop it sliding and do not over reach.

It appears there was previously filler / concrete there before. I'm considering trying to fill between the tiles with Polycell All Weather Filler?
What has fallen out may have been mortar, that would have been applied along the battens when the slates were first installed.

Bit difficult to see much from your picture. It's not unusual to be able to see daylight through the overlaps, if the roof isn't felted, but obviously there shouldn't be a visible gap between two tiles. Possibly either one has slipped, or has broken. Either way I'd have thought this would need to be fixed from outside.

Cheers
Richard

Light coming in horizontally would indicate ventilation, whereas light coming in from above (as in your case) suggests slipped or broken tiles. The real test is putting a piece of paper underneath when it rains, and see if it gets wet. As it's low down on the roof, you should be able to get at it from a ladder, but you've got to ask yourself whether you feel safe pulling tiles about balanced on a ladder that's very likely sitting on the guttering. Have you got a stand off adaptor for your ladder that'll give you a but of stability or should you just bite the bullet and get a roofer in.

Thanks ms for the replies. At first I filled the gaps with all weather polyfilla. With the heavy rain fall etc lately it leaked straight through again (the filler didn't stay dry even after being applied during a dry day and simply dissolved) causing water to channel itself and cause major stains in our bedroom roof. Had to have 6 tiles replaced by local roofer £80.

Yer I guess so. I've a kitchen extension now that needs a new flat roof (rough size is 2x metre) what's a rough price mark to pay a roofer to do this job?

No point giving a suggestion on roof prices without seeing the job, but on that small a size, have you considered using fibreglass, and doing it yourself.

I have a similar problem -a slipped slate leaving a gap between the two underneath. At the moment I have simply stuffed the gap with putty from inside the loft, which seems to be holding OK. (Putty is great stuff -often far more suitable than 'modern miracles' like filler and silicone...)
I'll replace the slates properly when (if?) it's summer again!

You've got slates not tiles, your missing a slate!
Measure your slate size then get and fit a new slate using a lead strap.

i would at least have a look on youtube at fiberglassing a flat roof, ive not done it myself but i will do when the flat roof needs doing, doesnt look too difficult to me and you will save a fortune on labour.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back