Gap between steel and soldier bricks

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

October last year I moved into a 1930s house, that’s had several modifications over time.

I really wish I knew what the building was like in the thirties vs. How it is today.

Anyhow, there is a double garage to the side of the property. I think these are an add on. The one furthest from the house had roof in a very sorry state so I had a new one put on, which has uncovered some bits and bobs that need doing that we’re masked by the previous roof and ceiling mess.

What I need help with today is a mystery gap at the front.

There is a steel above the doorway (that I’ve since had bricked up). Above the door is a row of soldier bricks.

I think the soldier bricks came first, and then the steel at a later date when someone has upgraded the garage.

I not sure what the intention of the steel is, as there is a gap between the steel and the roof of soldier bricks.

So what I’d like to do is fill that gap up, so that the soldier bricks are sitting on the steel. The gap is maybe 1cm the length of the steel.

what is the best way to do this? Is it to trowel some mortar in somehow? Or is there a way that would be more consistent and even?

Thanks

Ben

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back