Gap between window and window and window frame (UPVC)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Afternoon All,

Wondering if you could help me - bought a 6 year old house a month or so ago and I'm slowly working my way round fixing all the odds and sods but have come across a gap in one of the windows that has me stumped.

The gap is about 10mm between the window and the window frame seal on the hinge side of the UPVC window when the window is closed and locked. The movement of the window appears fine (not sticking or anything) and it locks fine, it's just the gap that whistles when it's windy!

Any idea how to adjust the window to remove the gap? I've posted a few pictures to show you the problem.

Cheers

Grahame

Sponsored Links
If they're the same as mine then when you close the window the hinge side slides against small triangles on the hinges. These get worn and the window doesn't silde to it's home position. If you can get to the outside then try pushing the window closed on your bad side. If it closes ok then it'll be your hinges as mentioned by the previous poster.

Thanks Alan & Pinnacle, I'll get a new set of hinges from Screwfix and see if that does the trick.

Any advice on the best way of measuring the existing hinges to get the right size (I've measured the hinge 'running plate' that fixes to window frame) and replacing the hinges without dropping the window pane?

Sponsored Links
measure overall length of hinges will be 12" minimum possibly 14" then you need to measure stack height which is overall thickness of the complete hinge probably 13mm or 17mm you will also need to bear in mind that your current hinges are easy clean egress hinges and you will need to replace with egress hinges again to maintain the fire escape
Easiest way of replacing them is to remove complete sash with hinges and replace hinges to sash before refitting if you are not confident doing this then get someone to help they can be heavy

Thanks Pinnacle,

Turns out that none of the ones at Screwfix will fit as the window arms are too long - it also turns out that the windows are from a company called Speedframe (moral of the story, don't ask the misses to look).

After some reading, it looks look Speedframe made generic sized windows for easy building but they have gone bust - any idea where I can get replacement parts from or other places to get hinges from?

they dont have to be exactly same size slightly longer will suffice there are plenty of online double glazing suppliers like dg supplies or even ebay at a push

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back