Gap at top of upvc window

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The window is a side hinged upvc. When the window is closed, there is a gap at the top left corner. It's the corner from the top and the lock side (handle side) f the window. It's in the spare room, and I only really just noticed it. The window doesn't have a riser in the window. Could it have buckled the hinges? Order some new hinges and a riser block and replace? Thank you for the help.

Sponsored Links
Sounds like it needs heal and toeing.

Packing around the glass to prevent dropping. See this diagram:
http://www.malberntradewindows.co.uk/toeandheel.html

If its under guarantee get the fitters to come back and do it.

Thank you for that. It's no longer under guarantee. It's not a gap between the glass and the frame of the window. But between the frame of the window, and the surrounding main frame. I've not explained that very well. I'm sorry. Hopefully these pictures will help. Hopefully you can see the gap at the top of the window. Maybe the heal and toeing is something I can do...

That is quite a large drop in the sash to have gone unnoticed for some time. Check your hinges for any obvious bends/damage 1st.

Assuming the hinges are ok.
Yes you can heel and toe it yourself but you have the slightly tricky problem of the window being externally beaded so you will need to do it from out side off a ladder.
You need to take out the top bead (will probably need a side bead out to make it easier) Then lift the sash with one hand and wedge some packers (ideally flat plastic) between the top of the glass and sash on the handle side. This will square up the sash.

Sponsored Links
That is quite a large drop in the sash to have gone unnoticed for some time. Check your hinges for any obvious bends/damage 1st.

Assuming the hinges are ok.
Yes you can heel and toe it yourself but you have the slightly tricky problem of the window being externally beaded so you will need to do it from out side off a ladder.
You need to take out the top bead (will probably need a side bead out to make it easier) Then lift the sash with one hand and wedge some packers (ideally flat plastic) between the top of the glass and sash on the handle side. This will square up the sash.

That's brilliant. Thank you for the help. I think I might heel and toe it first and if that fixes it then not bother with the hinges. I think you are spot on with your first post.

Thank you once again.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back