Gap filling classic

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,
Doing some decorating and after removing the wall paper, found a nice gap between the plaster and pvc frame. It is 10mm deep, and 15mm wide at the biggest points. It's uniform all the way around. I was just going to fill it with some filler up to the pvc, and then use some caulk to seal/tidy the joining point. Would that be the best way about doing it? It's sealed on the outside and no drafts or oblivious gaps present to the outside from inside.
DSC_0069.JPG
DSC_0070.JPG

Any recommended fillers? I imagine it's a bit to large for standard crack filler from s tube?

Any help would be great guys

Sponsored Links
im assuming the original windows fitted up to the plaster line?

if its not too deep then wet/pva it and fill it with finish plaster.

im assuming the original windows fitted up to the plaster line?

if its not too deep then wet/pva it and fill it with finish plaster.

I think those windows where put in with the extension to be honest. The deepest point is 15mm, finishing plaster should be fine for that?

Gyproc One coat plaster would be a better option than finishing plaster. It'll handle 50mm holes. But as Greggers suggest, 3:1 water pva first into the gap, and then plaster after it dries.

Sponsored Links
Gyproc One coat plaster would be a better option than finishing plaster. It'll handle 50mm holes. But as Greggers suggest, 3:1 water pva first into the gap, and then plaster after it dries.

Happy days, got half a bag of that in the shed. On a side note, would anyone use this to skim some a drywall stud wall? (I made a wall and skimmed it with this).

I would silicone in there first (then maybe blow some sharp sand/grit on it for a plaster key).
You can see the DPC and the external brickwork there. If you just fill it you will bridge the inner and outer skins allowing moisture to soak through to the inside and also cause a cold bridge.

Trims would be the easy recommend method

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back