UPVC window internal gaps – too big for Caulk?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Got a rather large gap around the bedroom window. 10mm wide by 25mm deep.

Considered pumping decorators caulk in as it is dead cheap and I have the plastic cover strips (40mm? wide) that go round the window hiding any dodgy sealant.

What about stuffing it with paper and then caulking it.

Or layering it and waiting a few hours for it to set?

Or silicon based to seal it up and then cap it with decorators (acrylic)?

Inside the gaps you can see the foam insulation sheets between the window and the wall and I can see condensation on the brickwork and (maybe) the metal lintel.

Is the gap there for a reason?

Rather than pumping caulk in should I just seal the outer part of the gap (that’s is why the stuffed/rolled paper might help??).

Cheers

Macker

Sponsored Links
I have just tidied up something similar in the property I am doing up, the reveals were plastered not plasterboarded but I knocked off the plaster where it curved towards the window frame and bonded then skimmed the reveals. Making sure it was foamed along the frame to keep water outside of course.

Looks a lot better than trimming strips in my opinion.

Sponsored Links
Cover strips are a bodge used by window firms to save time, just fill with filler /plaster and make good, no cover strips needed.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back