Gap filling expanding foam - rotten wood replacement?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
Can I use expanding foam to replace the rotten timber frame topside of the window frame?

I tried using wood filler but it takes forever and requires lots of material.

Expanding foam seems rather quick but 1) will last? 2) would ti too soft? 3) can I sand it proper to look like original timber 4) can I paint it over? 5) Can I put wood filler on top the foam?

I don't mind if it doesn't look great, better repair than replacing (apparently I would have to replace the entire window to replace the cill)..

Many Thanks

Attachments

• thumbnail_IMG_5347.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_5347.jpg
    245.4 KB · Views: 133
  • foam.png
    foam.png
    24 KB · Views: 114
Sponsored Links
Expanding foam is very much the wrong product for this job. Cutting out the sections of rotten wood and glueing in a new section/patch is the best way short of replacing the cill.

Wood filler is the second best option here but remove all the old wood and sand down and treat with rot hardener before filling, sanding to shape and painting over.

Maybe consider a uPVC "overcill" - eurocell plastics do one.

Sponsored Links
Clean out with a stiff wire brush, treat with wood hardener, then fill with a flexible 2-pack wood filler (or similar car body filler). If the rot is particularly deep it needs to be cutboutcsnd a replacemne piece of joinery grade redwood splice in, planed to match, then the joints and minor damage areas 2-packed

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back