Expanding foam that doesn't stick to things

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I recently purchased a gun grade expanding foam from my local decorators' merchant. They had the Soudal foam and the BondIT Megafoam.

My first task was to fill a 8mm wide and 6mm deep channel in a concrete window sill. The replacement sliding sash window had a lot of bounce in it. I decided to lock it in place using a combination of expanding foam and Timbabuild 4 hour epoxy resin.

The epoxy resin worked as well as expected, the expanding foam, less so.

I purchased the BondIT Meagfoam. I misted the area to be filled with water (after vacuuming it). The following day, I ran a knife along the excess foam and pulled it away. I had anticipated that I would need to sand away the excess foam from the timber face of the window sill. Nah, the foam had not stuck to the (water based) paint.

I later tried it on GRP flashing. It didn't "stick" to either the GRP or the brickwork.

To date it is the only expanding foam (which I have used), that, a) doesn't want to stick to anything and b) remains incredibly soft/compressible after curing.

The day after buying it, I went back to the store to purchase the other brand- which worked as expected.

In the end, I used the pants foam to fill the gap under the GRP flashing and behind the GRP upstands and the Soudal to water proof the join (I will use a UV safe MS polymer over the cut back foam once done).

There may well be times that I want an expanding foam that remains incredibly soft, but I would have preferred if BondIT had mentioned that at the point of purchase.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back