Expanding foam that doesn't like sticking to stuff... Bondit Megafoam

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I recently purchased some gun grade expanding foam. There were two choices in my local decorators' merchant- Bondit Megafoam and a Soudall foam. I opted for the former because it claimed to work at all angles and additionally had a tube if I didn't want to use my gun.

Both were about £11 each (even though the same product is nearly half the price at Selco BM (both retailers are owned by the Grafton group.).

My first task was to remove GRP flashing and run foam behind the GRP upstands on a parapet flat roof. I then used it to seal the chases.

The next task was to fill a gap between an old concrete window sill and the replacement timber sliding sash window.

When it came to cutting away the excess, I noticed that the foam came away from the painted windows without leaving any residue behind. The same was true of the GRP and rendered parapet. I was even able to pull it off newspaper (that it fell on to) without it ripping the paper.

Days after, the cut away foam can be compressed to about 75(?)% of the expanded size by squeezing it between my fingers.

Yes, I did mist the surfaces first (but not the newspaper).

The day after buying the can, I went back and purchased the Soudall foam, which had the properties that I would expect of expanding foam.

I have used numerous Bond It products, which I have been happy with, this one I will avoid in the future unless I want a foam that it easy to remove the excess.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back