About expanding foam guns....

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm going to be using quite a lot of expanding foam (to fill in around my window frames as I take the wood trim off as I decorate...)

Been thinking about buying a foam gun... just wondering if they are worth it for a DIYer...and have a couple of questions.

Is it cheaper if you have to buy a few applicator cans (especially because the can applicator ones are cheaper than they used to be)?

Can you use the gun for other things -seen something where they seem to use the same gun for silicone etc - and if you can- do you need to buy special silicone etc?

For the foam do you really need to clean it out completely after each use? Or would it be ok for a few days? And does that not significantly increase the costs ?

Once a can of foam is opened how long will it still be usable? (Hate the can applicators - always end up with a half empty can that won't work again next time I need some! - although I have just managed to use one of the bent back applicator ones opened a year ago...but did have to dig out the set stuff from the applicator...)

Are the guns really less messy than the can applicators ?

Finally are the cheaper ones any use or do you need to spend the few extra quid (like £20) to get better ones...

Any advice/info appreciated....

Sponsored Links
Gun every time. Clean, simple to use, less waste. Most of all, does a neat job because the guns are controllable..

Absoloutly gun every time.

I never take the can off mine, except when it runs out.

I purge the gun with cleaner every other time I change the can and it seems to work ok for me.

A can should last as long as it's shelf life once its on the gun. I've had cans on my gun for months and they still work fine.

You can not use the same gun for silicone, or anything else for that matter.

The only problem is that you need to buy your foam at a trade outlet, as DIY sheds will not stock it.

Hi thanks for that...bought one today for about £15 - hopefully it will be good enough....

Also bought a big can of everbuild fire foam - which says on the label that they recommend using the entire can within an hour of opening! :eek:

Hopefully they are just covering themselves...can't imagine many professionals even being able to empty that can within an hour...

Did make me decide to be ready to use as much as possible -just in case...

Sponsored Links
I've been using a gun for about 4 years, cost bout £20, never cleaned it out, whenever you finish using it, tighten up the control at the back to stop the trigger accidentally being pressed (especially by stuff moving around in the back of the van), also makes sure no foam is left in the nozzle, never leave an empty can on the gun, I just clean any surplus off the tip of the nozzle before I start every time and it's fine!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back