Gap in roof next to flue

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
In the loft we have what appears to be a gas flue that exits through the roof. This flue isn't active (as far as I know... fire in lounge was removed).

Looking up there is a gap right next to the flue and I can see daylight. I presume this isn't right...?

20230325_170939.jpg
20230325_170934.jpg
20230325_170931.jpg

Sponsored Links
No it isn't right, I'd guess mortar bed has fallen or moved from the ridge tiles.
Just remove the old gas vent ridge, patch the felt and fit a standard ridge tile to suit

No it isn't right, I'd guess mortar bed has fallen or moved from the ridge tiles.
Just remove the old gas vent ridge, patch the felt and fit a standard ridge tile to suit
Sounds like something I can't rectify from inside! Something easily sorted by any decent roofer I expect?

Sponsored Links
Selling the flue, especially if there are any insulated sections, will likely pay for the repair :)

Cheers all. Had another look and it's clear a bed of mortar has dropped down.

It's not currently been leaking which is a suprise... I'll get on it before I have any problems!

Regarding the flue, how does this actually run? I'm in a semi detached property and it looked like it goes into the wall between the two properties? Will it be a shared flue?

20220903_135724.jpg

It won't be shared , it will run down within a purpose made block .
Common in this type of property .

Oh, and while you're up there, remove the boards that are compressing your insulation wool and reducing its effectiveness

And roll out any rolls of will that are balled up; a) they're doing the same as the boards and b) they're not doing all the good they could do.

Always irks me to see insulation has been bought and placed near to where it could be doing a job, but not actually doing it

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back