Gap in sound insulation ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have sound insulated my wooden floor using MuteMat 3 and the flanking strip that comes with it.
However my contractor left a part which is not part of the wall (therefore there is no skirting board) that touches the wardrobe without the strip, and I realized the other day that there is light coming from the bottom floor's ceiling.
My guess is that (airborne) sound escapes from there too.
He suggested to use self expansion foam to cover the gap, and that he couldn't put the strip as there is no skirting to fit on top.
I am not sure on the self expansion foam, first I don't think it can replace the sound proofing strip, and second I am afraid that it will push the rest of the floor up in that area.

Any suggestions how to tackle this? My main worry is that sound might be escaping from there to the floor below.

20200307_190330.jpg
20200307_190342.jpg

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
A soundproof wall 10x10 feet with a 1" hole will be reduced in efficiency by 30%

You need something like a proper mastic.

A soundproof wall 10x10 feet with a 1" hole will be reduced in efficiency by 30%

You need something like a proper mastic.

This is probably 5mm on the floor and about 1-2mm on the plywood underneath.
Link to the proper mastic please? Will that do for the sound insulation ?

Is this a floor between two dwellings :?: How has a clear gap right through the floor come about :?: Might be more than just an acoustic sealant required.
Correct, it's between 2 floors.
The stack consists of 200mm joists, floorboards,
Mutemat, plywood and engineered floor.
At this particular point, a wardrobe is placed on top of the floorboards.
My guess is that there was an existing gap in the floorboards, which coincided with the rest of the stack (sound insulation, plywood and floor), and therefore the light comes through.

With solid floors in what seems to be dwellings not designed for multiple residents then sound transmission will always be problem , carpet over thick underlay would be best floor surface .Small air gap will have little impact when most of the sound will be transmitted directly thru timbers .

With solid floors in what seems to be dwellings not designed for multiple residents then sound transmission will always be problem , carpet over thick underlay would be best floor surface .Small air gap will have little impact when most of the sound will be transmitted directly thru timbers .

Agreed, but to be fair, we replaced the original carpet with no underlay, with strong underlay and engineered floor. I am aware of the airborne and impact noise topics, which I won't expand here, my original post is around airborne sound transmission around an air gap (as opposed to carpet with the same air gap, without sound proof underlay).

Agreed, but to be fair, we replaced the original carpet with no underlay, with strong underlay and engineered floor. I am aware of the airborne and impact noise topics, which I won't expand here, my original post is around airborne sound transmission around an air gap (as opposed to carpet with the same air gap, without sound proof underlay).
Very little airborne noise thru a small slit .

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back