Gap in UPVC window

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am very much a DIY novice here but is there anything I can do about this window? There is a noticeable gap when closed at the top of the window - big enough to see daylight through and no surprise that the room is cold!

I've taken a pic with the window open so you can see the opening type/ hinges. Gap appears to be bigger on left side to middle.

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_3387.jpeg
    IMG_3387.jpeg
    394.5 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_3386.jpeg
    IMG_3386.jpeg
    463.7 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_3385.jpeg
    IMG_3385.jpeg
    454 KB · Views: 47
Sponsored Links
This is fairly easy to do and can be done by loosening the screws at the side of the window. Turn the screws with a screwdriver and then readjust the sashes into the frame. Then, tighten them up again. You may need a block of wood to support the window while you do this and obviously only do one side at a time. If that doesn't close it, repeat the process on the frame side of the hinge. I can't see from the pic, but your hinge may also have a slider adjustment screw.

This is fairly easy to do and can be done by loosening the screws at the side of the window. Turn the screws with a screwdriver and then readjust the sashes into the frame. Then, tighten them up again. You may need a block of wood to support the window while you do this and obviously only do one side at a time. If that doesn't close it, repeat the process on the frame side of the hinge. I can't see from the pic, but your hinge may also have a slider adjustment screw.
Thanks for the reply. Do you mean these brass screws on the hinge? Or the silver ones and move the whole metal strip up (it looks like it's as high as it will go).

Attachments

• IMG_1C6DDDED9EAD-1.jpeg
    IMG_1C6DDDED9EAD-1.jpeg
    159.9 KB · Views: 39
Yes the screw in the black block of plastic can be loosened and the hinge tapped up and retightened. That is the easiest way to do it.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back