UPVC Window Maintence Help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've got a 16 year old with the original uvpc windows. All the windows have top openers.

I've found that many of the window openings have gaps so I can feel cold air coming through.
I've tried the the paper test and it would seem that most of the gaps are on the top and sides of the windows.

I'm going to order up a sample set of qlon looking seals to see which model matches my own.

Can anyone give advice on how to best resolve the gaps?

I've never tried to fix these types of windows before. One of the kitchen windows has problems with the hinges as on trying to close sometimes the window sticks and the gap at the top ends up being huge.

How can I tell if the hinges need replacing?

Any advice much appreciated.

I've tried to find some videos on how to fix upvc window problems and not been able to find a lot.

Sponsored Links
I'm guessing the drafts are all coming from the hinges side of the sash's and not the handles side's?
If so its your hinges that need replacing (not the gaskets) as they will be worn and no longer pulling the windows in tight in the corners.

If your lucky and some of them are not too warn you may be able to same some. Give all of the hinges a good clean first then in the corners there will be a triangular shape corner tab that the hinges pull into. Put a little blob of Vaseline in these corners to lubricate then open and close the window a dozen or so times. If your lucky this will save a few of your hinges (they should be cleaned and lubricated once a year).

Replacing hinges is not for the faint hearted especially if they are pop riveted in instead of screwed!
Modern replacement hinges will not have holes in the same places so you would need to take the sash's out (possibly de-glaze them too) and then align them to the old hinges and make new holes.

It is diyable but there is always a chance of damaging the windows while attempting it.

The openers all have side hinges and the drafts are mainly from the hinge sides and the top of the window

Sponsored Links
Yes that will be the hinges then. Clean and lubricate as I said above and see if that can save a few of them before they wear too much

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back