Top Hung Window Hinges

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've replaced my old hinges on 1 of my 16 year old uvpc windows.
The hinges were showing signs of wear.
The hinges were swapped over using the existing holes.
Problem is I now have a an issue with a gap at the top between the sash and frame. In addition the window sash seems to be too much over 1 side producing a small gap.
I've tried re-positioning the hinges by slacking off the screws and moving the sash either up or down (as the holes are oval shaped) but it makes no difference.

I'm as a loss as to what I am doing wrong.

The new hinges are the same dimensions as the old ones.

Sponsored Links
I hope you haven't binned the old hinges yet?
First thing to check is that you got the right stack height (thickness of the hinge) normally 13mm or 17mm. Lay a new and old hinge side by side to check you got the right thickness.

Then put one of the old hinges back on (or check on another window) when the hinge is closed measure how far it sticks up at the edge of the sash and fit the new ones to match. Modern hinges tend to have the fixing holes in different places to old hinges.

So I've now removed the sash window. Put on the old hinges and measured how far the top of the hinge sticks out. I've made sure the new hinges matches the old ones. I've put the sash back into the window frame and now have the problem that the sash is approx 0.5cm more to one side of the window frame than the other. Looking at the rest of the windows in the house, they all seem to have the same issue.
The window frames have steel to supports for the the screws, but the sash windows do not have structural supports as far as I can tell. Some of the hinge screws now will not turn up tightly. So I'm at a loss the best way forward.
Any advice much appreciated.

Its now a case of tinkering with it until you get it right. Did you check the stack heights were correct?
They are always a bit tricky and there is not really anyway to describe how to do it, Its trial/error and experience.

After you have done it on about 10 different makes of window you just get the hang of it.
As for the holes you will have to use a slightly larger screw thread to grip. Obviously you don't want to make to many more new holes though.

Sponsored Links
As Gazman says , its a bit of trial and error .,...I occasionally get it right first time , but usually end up making adjustments to get them correct.

Are both hinges 13mm stack height ...I know you have checked but is it possible that bizarrely one is 17mm? I take it with the old hinges in it is closing correctly?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back