Wrong hinges fitted to uPVC windows?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks. I'm getting a bit fed up with a draught through the bedroom window so decided to take a look at it. The seal is very old and worn so replacing that was the first job. That done, it's obvious that the windows are not closing tightly on the hinge side. These are side hinge windows.
Looking even more carefully it appears that the seals are being compressed at the bottom but start to gape as I look higher up the hinge side towards the top of the window. I replaced the hinges on the sash last year, like for like, hoping this might be good enough. It wasn't, but I was so fed up that I gave up and have resumed my investigation again prior to the really cold weather starting.

Here you can see the bottom hinge, I'm reasonably confident that the problem is with the 'V' shaped end of the hinge where attached to the sash and it's 'V' shaped 'socket'. When closing the window the 'V' meshes and closes the bottom nicely.
bottom_hinge_side.jpg

top_hinge_side.jpg

If you look at the same parts of the hinge at the top of the window it's pretty obvious that the 'V' parts are going to miss each other by around 5mm (sash side too low), the hinge is not being pulled into the frame like it should be.

So, I think I've worked out what the problem is but I have 2 questions:

1. Why would these hinges be used when they appear to be incorrect?? I'm reasonably sure these are the original windows (27 year old house) and, apart from the like for like replacement I made last year, the hinges appear to be original. The same hinges are fitted to 2 other double opening windows (that's 6 opening windows in total) and it seems the same issue applies to all of these windows to varying degrees.

2. What can I do about it? My first thought was to get some packers to give a bigger stack height. What I need to do is move the window up but using packers top and bottom will effectively keep it where it is. If I do move it up by packing only the lower hinge I risk the 'V' parts not meshing on the bottom. ** Second thoughts, I suppose what I'm trying to do is increase the distance between the sash mounted parts of the hinges, maybe packers will work??

The (17mm) hinges don't sit in the channel of the outer frame, they sit 'on' it, they appear too wide for the channel. If I install hinges that will fit in the channel (13mm or possibly 15mm wide) the problem will be exacerbated by effectively lowering the stack height further. I'm bemused by this. It's almost as though the sash is too small for the frame and it's been bodged in using the wrong hinges, this was probably ok for a few years when new but normal wear and tear has led to very obvious gaps.

Hoping for some inspiration.
Thanks,
Rob

Last edited:
Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back