Gapotape

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Anyone used Gapotape when fitting PIR into ceiling? It looks good, but eye wateringly expensive at 95 quid for 50 meters.

But..... it got me thinking. Why couldn't you just use 8mm thick 150m wide UFH perimeter foam..... its about 20 quid for 50 meters and a layer of foil tape over it. Works out much less expensive..... just not sure on r value compared to the official gapotape.

The other option would be 10mm thick 100mm wide expansion joint foam stuck onto edges of PIR then taped with foil tape. Even this option is considerably cheaper than Gapotape.

Thoughts....

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
All this paranoia about a few gaps which amount to fookall considering the excess PIR that is specified.

Foam gun and aluminium tape works fine .

Yeah, I'm sure it does. But, I hate installing it over head and ****ting it into the aperture. I'm thinking more about making the installation easier with less dust...... I appreciate it probably won't save time, but its my own house and ill be doing it on my own.

I've done a vaulted ceiling with it in my own house. I really liked it and the cost wasn't hugely significant in the overall scheme of things. The foil tape it comes with is much stronger than the normal roll of foil tape you buy as it's got a reinforced paper layer. The method you propose sounds like a right faff!

I'm planning on using it again if that helps?

Sponsored Links
I'm hearing u celeron..... how much easier is it than doing it without? Have u ever fitted it without gapotape to compare. Its a horrid job without ut

Yeah, I'm sure it does. But, I hate installing it over head and ****ting it into the aperture. I'm thinking more about making the installation easier with less dust...... I appreciate it probably won't save time, but its my own house and ill be doing it on my own.

Have you considered hybris actis instead

the U value isn’t quite as good, so it depends whether you can achieve the rating, but it’s great to fit. You cut it with a saw, whilst still wrapped up, then push it in tight.

https://www.insulation-actis.com/hybrid-system/hybris-uk.html

I'm hearing u celeron..... how much easier is it than doing it without? Have u ever fitted it without gapotape to compare. Its a horrid job without ut

I found it easier to do a really nice job with the gapotape, it's much more forgiving.

I wanted to get the best insulation install that I could within reason (my home office), so went PIR and gapotape. I've never been convinced the hybrid foil layer type can be anywhere near as good in performance.

BarnabyT, what did you go with in the end? I'm about to embark on the same journey

I recently used it for the first time in a vaulted ceiling. Only needed one box and winced at the price..... but felt it was totally worth the much easier job that entailed. Every bit just popped in snugly first time with no buggering around and much less mess. Not sure if a new trick or not but I also cut my PIR whilst placed down flat on a bit of old carpet rather than propped up on stands. Using a handsaw and emphasising the forward / down cuts and going light on the pull back cuts the carpet appeared to grab and keep the dust right down.

I have to do a large space and it'll take around £800 worth of tape. Not sure i can justify that cost. Anyone used an alternative?

I have to do a large space and it'll take around £800 worth of tape. Not sure i can justify that cost. Anyone used an alternative?
That is a chunk of cash, if it were half the price it would prob be a no brainer, but yeah if my next job was £800 worth I’d be stalling …. but now knowing how much easier and neater the tape makes the job it would be even more frustrating to decide to save the cash. If more and more folk use it then hopefully a cheaper competitor will come along and help bring the price down.

I've seen a few articles suggesting that the newest building regs update make Gapotape a requirement, which is rubbish.

The requirement is to have no gaps There are many ways to achieve this, the cheapest being accurate measuring and cutting of the insulation boards.

That is a chunk of cash, if it were half the price it would prob be a no brainer, but yeah if my next job was £800 worth I’d be stalling …. but now knowing how much easier and neater the tape makes the job it would be even more frustrating to decide to save the cash. If more and more folk use it then hopefully a cheaper competitor will come along and help bring the price down.

Ok, i'm reluctantly ordering it today. I've adjusted the build up a little and so the overall cost isnt as high but still. Also, why dont we become the competitors? lol

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back