Gaps behind kitchen base cabinet

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

i've installed my kitchen base cabinets, and because the walls aren't straight, the bottom edge of the cabinet is on the wall, but the top / back edge of the cabinet is not level with the wall, which means when securing it to the wall, i had to put some plastic packers behind the cabinet as i had to ensure that the base cabinet remains level. If i didn't use packers, then it would have pulled the cabinet out of level on the front and top edge of the cabinet when drawing it back to the wall.

The gap between wall and back of cabinet is approx 1cm.

Will this become an issue when installing the worktop? ie. will it look stupid if there isnt any overhang / not much overhang? I'm getting a joiner to do the worktop. I just want to be sure that the way i have installed the base cabinets is correct?

thanks

Sponsored Links
You will probably have a gap/s at the back of the worktop where it meets the wall. An upstand would cover it ,or wall tiling ,most of it.
Is the gap the same along the whole length of the wall ?

Oh yes I had forgotten about the upstand/tiles! Ha ha.

It's not as big all the way across but there is a gap most of the way, yes

Most walls are not perfectly flat ,or level/ plumb. Tiling / silicone bead usually makes all ok.

Sponsored Links
Or scribe the units back to the wall so the top of the unit is touching the wall?

Or scribe the units back to the wall so the top of the unit is touching the wall?

But scribing it to the wall may leave it level/short over the front of the base units which the OP is concerned about. Good suggestion though and one you could easily do with a 650mm W/T

But scribing it to the wall may leave it level/short over the front of the base units which the OP is concerned about. Good suggestion though and one you could easily do with a 650mm W/T

I don’t mean the worktop, I mean the base units themselves. Very common practice

things to keep in mind might be:
1. to keep the work top mitre simple the run of units must stay, if at all possible, at ninety degrees to the return run of units.
2. its often simpler to hack small slots in the wall plaster to set back the unit end panels/gables.
3. cutting into the plaster to allow the w/t to set back & present an equal front projection - can sometimes also help.
4. before fixing the units then always run a long straight edge high and low on the wall behind the base & wall cab runs.

in practice, there's rarely an issue esp when fixing a tiled upstand.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back