Gaps between Kingspan/cellotex

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys,

Just wondering if anyone can give me some advice, we had a Dormer loft conversion done a few years back.

Anyway i was poking around the roof/loft space the other day wondering about ways if improving the insulation.

I noticed that there were quite a few gaps between the Kingspan and studwork. And was just wondering if it was worth using something like expanding foam in the gaps or if that wasn't a good idea or just not worth doing.

Cheers
Jim

Attachments

• 20181108_172110.jpg
    20181108_172110.jpg
    390.5 KB · Views: 501
Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Cracking thanks for uploading the snaps, I see exactly what you mean. Looking forward to being toasty, cheers Ian

I have an expanding foam gun (cheapo B&Q jobby) and have been using it around the house. Is it me or do these things expand at a incredible rate of knots and instantly fill anything in milliseconds and carry on expanding for ages afterwards ??.

So what the technique here to avoid it going everywhere ?, or is it just the nature of the beast ?

When filling round window or door frames, I tape clingfilm tightly around the gap so that any bulge does not stick to the wall. When it's a cavity behind that the foam can safely expand into, I get very neat results by tacking a clingfilm-wrapped batten or architrave over the gap, and injecting foam through drilled holes in it. This means the foam is flush with the wall and doesn't need to be cut and smoothed. It also encourages the foam to expand deep into the gap and fill it well, which is important round fire doors.

I use a Fischer foam gun which enables a very controlled bead to be applied. With a bit of practice you can estimate how much it will expand, and you can push the pointed nozzle into the gap. I think they cost about £15

BTW I now always use the pink fire grade foam. Maybe one day I will be glad I did.

Guys thanks for everyone's advice and tips really useful after readying Ian's comments I ordered some foam from Toolstation in the end, hadn't seen jonbeys comment also looks like a really good option.

Like wwwebber I really struggle with the foam cans so I went for a foam gun and gun foam as it has an adjustable flow control. Makes such a difference especially in this case where you don't need to deliver too much foam. Didn't really want to spend the extra but really glad I did

Also like John D, I went for the pink fire grade foam in the end, seems to have worked really well. It was everbuild b1 fire grade, great service from Toolstation and not very expensive

Have put up a pic, need to tidy it up a bit but really pleased, thanks for everyone's advice.

Cheers
Jim

Attachments

• 20181110_093615.jpg
    20181110_093615.jpg
    402.9 KB · Views: 309

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back