Gaps between skirting and wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Been having an insurance reinstatement done after a water leak. The builders hired to do it have replaced some plaster and skirting boards. Only problem is there are some fairly large gaps between the plaster and the skirting at points. The builders say the decorators can fill these gaps in if need be. But the decorating company say they don't think it's a good idea to fill the gaps, they say that works for painted skirting, not for stained skirting. Should the gaps be filled in? The smaller gaps don't look so bad, but some of the gaps are quite visible (see pics).

Sponsored Links
Scramble, good evening.

If your Insurer appointed the builder, then simply go back to your Insurance Company and tell them the workmanship is simply not acceptable and tell them to sort out their preferred Contractor, you did not choose the Contractor [or so it seems] the Insurer as above [appointed] handed to the Contractor your Claim to sort out.

Your post appears to infer that there were two independent Contractors? appointed by the insurer? am I correct?

There is a certain shall I call it Relationship? between Insurance Companies and the Building firms that undertake the work for the Insurer.

Bottom line is that if the preferred builder is not capable of sorting out the problem go back and demand the insurer makes his contractor toe the line.

As an aside take careful note of ant telephone calls, where possible use e mail [that way there is a positive record] at some point in the future it may be needed?

If when talking to the insurer they tell you to sort it out inform the insurers handler that you are now making an expression of dissatisfaction as regards the building work and the insurers attitude, then ask to speak with a Supervisor, at which time use the same phrase [an expression of dissatisfaction] Why? because under insurance Rules this is a first step in the complaints process that the Insurer MUST log and act upon.

Would like to know the outcome if you have time to tell the board?

Ken

I don't think there will be a problem if I insist. None of the parties are being difficult. The question is more about whether the gaps be filled in. And is it normally the builder who does it, or the decorator? (And who would you expect to do a better job?)

Sponsored Links
Scramble, good evening again.

OK sorry I got the wrong end of your original Post, sorry about that.

As for the line and level of the new plaster? as post by diydazzler above, simply not the best, But? if you look closely at the miter on the corner? you will see that the unseen section of the Skirting protrudes past the main plane of the wall in the Image, meaning the Builders Joiner has made a bodged job of the miter, there is, in my estimation about a 3 mm / 5 mm. protrusion of the unseen section of the Skirting. Further if you look closely at the miter there are still pencil marks on the top edge of the Skirting that would appear to indicate that the Miter was not cut in the correct position???

As for the decorator?

Normally what happens is that the Decorator arrives and starts his prep which should have included installing "Decorators Caulk" in any gaps between the Skirting and the walls, this is not a time consuming task, materials are as cheap as chips [a tube of Decorators Caulk?]

Given the above, it is my opinion that the Builders Joiner, by Mis-Cutting the Miter it is this that has occasioned the problem in your First image posted above.

ken.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back