Gaps in Bamboo flooring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I have recently installed some Bamboo flooring. After a few weeks gaps started to appear between some planks. I contacted the shop where i bought it and they told me that i hadn't used enough glue and thats why they have moved.
I purchased a floor ratchet set with the view of glueing the gaps and pulling them back into shape.
I have had the ratchet strap on full tension but it won't budge.
Please save my marriage !! Any ideas what i could do or if there are professional companies that could help
Thanks
Allan

Sponsored Links
You need to do the boards one at a time so the first task is to remove one board so's you can open up all the others

I can't really do that as the glue on the rest of the floor is set solid. The shop said that when they took up a display floor they had to smash the planks apart as they were set solid.
My gaps have occurred in random places across the floor. I have also tried a metal bar that is bent at the end and hit it with a hammer again with no joy.
Allan

Sounds terrible, perhaps the humidity is not what the boards were acclimatised to.
Not sure if bamboo expands like wood does, but now that it's happened I wonder if the solution is to cut up a spare piece into slivers and glue them in the gaps. Does it sound feasible?

Sponsored Links
Hi John,
Not sure that will work as the gap is only a mm or 2 wide ( see photo). The bamboo is advertised as being suitable for hard wearing areas such as kitchen and hall ways . I think the problem is that I didn't use enough glue in those places more than movement due to humidity.
Allan

Attachments

• IMG_0150.JPG
    IMG_0150.JPG
    96.3 KB · Views: 119
  • IMG_0151.JPG
    IMG_0151.JPG
    96 KB · Views: 108
  • IMG_0152.JPG
    IMG_0152.JPG
    142.8 KB · Views: 119
how many gaps have you got like that the only proplem you will have with filling them is movement from summer to winter
we have oak flooring in our covering the whole ground in the winter you can see the small silicone seal betweeen skirting and floor stretch in the winter but go back in the summer when more humid and no heating

if its only a couple of joints i would get some silicone to a very similar colour and fill joints this will give a bit of flex to the joint( not ideal)

To be honest I think you either cocked up on your laying technique or you used an inferior product (it wasn't properly dried or had been stored in a damp atmosphere by either yourself or your supplier)).
I laid a couple of bamboo floors in my house several years ago and they have been no problem at all.
The material is a real sod if you have to consider cutting infill slivers as its splinters are terrible for stabbing you
You think you either have to accept a complete remove-and-replaceme or divorce - the former will probably be cheaper

I came across a wood glue that you mixed with sawdust (you can do the trick with waterproof pva but it's not as good) but unfortunately, I can't find the link any more.

The bamboo is very water resistant, so putting in a water based coloured glue should be okay, so have a look at these

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back