gaps in floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am in the process of laying oak planks as a floating floor onto a concrete
surface.
It appears due to variation that some of the planks are under/over width and as a result I have gaps. Also the planks are tongue and grooved long sides only so there is slight variation where the ends meet.
I was going to mix the sawdust with pva glue to fill the gaps.
Will this be okay. WYL on a similar post, what do you mean by plastering the whole floor?
I should point out that the gaps I am on about are only 2mm ish. but are obviously visible.
Regards
Kev

please note 20 your post has been split

Sponsored Links
trophykev said:
WYL on a similar post, what do you mean by plastering the whole floor?

Plastering the whole floor with woodfiller and sanddust is only applicable when installing/sanding a parquet/herringbone type of floor.

Filling the gaps in your floor will result in having to do it time after time, because of the natural movement of the boards during the seasons.

did you install a DPM before installing the floor?

Other remark and don't get me wrong about this: but differences in width in boards from the same batch normally indicates wrong storage at supplier (i.e. 'cheap' prices?)

thanks for that.
I thought the price was about average but the quality is cheap... i paid £35 a metre.
I thought of sending the bloke a square so in future he can cut the ends straight :confused:

The concrete floor has lino tiles on top (like you used to get in kitchens
well stuck down all over). I have put a 1000grade DPM plastic over the top and the floor is floating with the tongues pva glued.

Sponsored Links
trophykev said:
thanks for that.
I thought the price was about average but the quality is cheap... i paid £35 a metre.

That's steep! (For the quality received I mean)

trophykev said:
The concrete floor has lino tiles on top (like you used to get in kitchens
well stuck down all over). I have put a 1000grade DPM plastic over the top and the floor is floating with the tongues pva glued.

That's good. And sound insulation? 2 - 3mm foam? I'm sure you have thought of that.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back