Solid oak click system - gaps between boards

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I've recently got several flooring samples sent to me. The floor which I like the most is solid oak 120mm width x 18mm thickness. It is of click installation type.

But I noticed the following - if I join 2 planks together there is no "click" and the join is not tight. Otherwise, there is about 0.5mm play in it. This is completely different to laminate or engineered oak "click" joins which are very solid, don't allow any play at all and produce prominent "click" when joined. I made 2 photos to illustrate this - one with visible gas of about 0.5 mm between 2 pieces and the second one without gap (see attached pics).

The question is - is it OK or is it completely wrong? Is it actually an expansion gap? I though that floating floors should have expansion gaps only at floor edges but not between the planks.

Gap of 0.5 mm (planks are pulled apart)
197000_196966_59118_42442248_thumb.jpg

No gap (planks are pushed to each other)
197000_196966_59119_34916688_thumb.jpg

Sponsored Links
I would say for a solid board it's good, though people may disagree with that.

for large floor areas a floating floor may be restricted by heavy furniture, and so having some allowance between boards can avoid problems.

Whether that's the case or it's just poor machining I can only guess.

Over the weekend I had a look at other solid oak flooring with "click" installation in couple of stores selling floors. Most of them had the same gap between boards when joined as I mentioned in my original post. The only one model which didn't have the gap was found in B&Q.

So although I'm not 100% sure but it looks like solid wood click systems are designed to have some play/gap. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

I'd like to have no gaps between boards so now looking towards engineered oak.

Sponsored Links
Why do you want a solid floor?

Personally I'd choose a good quality engineered over a cheap solid and I would never float a solid as it just won't be stable through the seasons like an engineered would. Be very wary of buying flooring from DIY stores etc, it's usually cheap for a reason.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back