Gaps in internal mitre corner for coving.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone, hope youre all well.

Just a quick one here, I have gaps in internal corners for when Im putting up corner (for the first time).

Im using a mitre and have made sure the ceiling is flat on the bottom before hacking the coving. When test pieces have been put up, Ive also used a spirit level to make sure Im lying the coving straight.

Ive created some internal corners, making sure I follow right instructions but I have a gap.

Please could you let me know what Im doing wrong.

02112008078.jpg

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
i bet the answer is nothing. you are doing nothing wrong.

you have just found out the corners are not square, but then again, it could be said you are mitreing at the wrong angle.

I take it you went for 45 degrees?

Yes I did.

I dont really want to fill it as I want the corner at the top rather than having a smooth curved edge.

How do I correct this or is filling the only answer?

I also dont have access to a mitre cutter than can cut at other degrees such as 43, 49, 47 etc.

Quite frustrating, this and touching up corners of walls with paint (as soon in pic) are the last things I need to do.

Please help!

:D

When your cutting your mitres are you making sure the coving is sat properly in the mitre block? i.e the flat part of the coving sat on the base of the mitre and the other flat part on one of the "walls" of the mitre??

You can buy already mitred coving pieces, relativly expensive, but effective if your not confident in cutting your own.

If your walls arent square, measure the angle, say its 105, take it away from 180 = 75 and half this measurement, 37.5 degrees would be what you need to cut, if they are say 75 again take it away from 180 = 105 half it, 52.5 degree mitre, dont just half the angle you measure, it doesnt work.

Sponsored Links
is it a hand saw!!!

if it is you have usualy got an alen screw or simmilar on the back at the pivot point

also if its a hand saw make shure the blade is parralel with the tube on the back ot you will never get a propper cut

Yes, the coving sits flat on the mitre base, this is the ceiling part, the wall side sits flat on the wall side of the mitre.

I cant change angles with cutting, I just use a block and the angles available to me are 45, 25 and 90.

I have using a small tooth hand saw.

What do you mean the tube on the back?

Here is the mitre block I am using.

3253561201127_001c_v001_ap

When cutting plain coving,(4" or 6") I use a Gyproc paper template for all the mitres. The only 90 degree angles where I cut both pieces at 90 deg's, is for external corners only..... When fitting coving for internal corners, I fit the length/s of coving on the first wall, from one corner to the other, exactly,, without cutting any of the ends at all, so each end of the coving is left square, and and then fixed in place.... When I go onto the next wall, I get my paper template, and draw around the template for the angle I need. I then get a coping saw, and cut around the pencil mark, only, I am cutting back into the coving, I am in effect, "scribing" that piece of coving, into the shape of the piece that was put on first.The finished look is that of a "mitre". Some carpenters also use the same method when cutting internal mitres with skirtings, by drawing the profile/shape, onto the ends of piece of skirting, and cutting it with a coping saw,(scribing) and then fitting it... Also, even if the corners of the room are off the square, it doesn't matter when using the scribing method, with a little trim here and there, you'll always get a neat looking mitre. Difficult to explain, but I hope you follow what I mean.

Roughcaster.

Yes, the coving sits flat on the mitre base, this is the ceiling part, the wall side sits flat on the wall side of the mitre.

I cant change angles with cutting, I just use a block and the angles available to me are 45, 25 and 90.

I have using a small tooth hand saw.

What do you mean the tube on the back?

Here is the mitre block I am using.

3253561201127_001c_v001_ap

aha my comments where for one of these or any simmilar saws
http://www.screwfix.com/prods/59824...-Mitre-Saw;jsessionid=OFWBQG00TQCKACSTHZOCFFQ

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back