Gaps uncovered during DIY

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, can anyone advise me please?

Problem 1: Whilst I was pulling up a carpet in my lounge I discovered a gaping foot long hole in the concrete floor directly against the aluminium frame for the sliding doors which separates the lounge from the conservatory. I don't know how to mend the floor, should the gap be filled with cement or expanding foam, or does there have to be some kind of ventilation to prevent damp? How should I repair the floor?

Problem 2: Whilst removing tiles from my window seal it exposed an inch deep gap running the entire width of the window. I will be laying new tiles but is that sufficient to make good, or should I be filling the gap somehow with expanding foam - again, I'm not sure if the gap is required in some way for ventilation and damp prevention.

I will try to attach photos of both these problems.

Any advice much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Hi,

I am not an expert and I am sure someone will correct me if I am wrong.

But both your holes look to me like the cavity in the outside wall, you do not want anything filling the cavity due to the risk of damp.

I have had similar issues with my house, the one on the floor we dug out the floor screed, covered the cavity with slate and then relaid the floor screed over the slate.

The window hole we close with cavity closers, from wickes I think and then relaid the tiles/internal window sill over them.

Hope this helps.

Neil

Thank you Neil. Can you tell me if this is what you used:

http://www.wickes.co.uk/invt/224685

Problem is, the gap inbetween the window and sill is less than 50mm which seems to be the minimum quoted on the 'cavity closers' available.

The gap in the floor, I agree it looks like the cavity in the wall however to the right of it, it is roughly filled with concrete and in the hole itself, rubble! So I'm a bit confused what is ok and what is not. My fella said he could fill it with quick drying concrete but if it will ultimately lead to more serious problems we can't be doing that. I need a carpet laid shortly and of course there is nowhere to attach the grippers.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back