Garage and Garden electrics

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
Living in a brand new house (completed December 2011). The single brick garage is separated from the main building by a garden, but has power provided for a light and power sockets. This is fed from the consumer unit in the house. The MCB labelled "garage" is Wylex B16 NHXB16 MCB, on an 80A 30mA on a WRS80/2 RCD (with some other MCBs).

I'd like to do a few things in the garden and garage and am seeking advice on what can be done DIY with a thorough research, and what would also need to be assessed by an electrician on the Competent Persons register.

Here's my project list:

1. Add an additional light to the existing garage circuit (both controlled by same switch).
2. Add an additional twin socket in the garage - at the front as the existing one is at the rear.
3. Add a security light to the front of the garage with a PIR.
4. Add uplights to the flower beds and borders.
5. Add an external power socket to be used for powering a laptop/radio/garden equipment.
6. *Optionally* - Provide power for a pond pump.

My first concern is whether the existing power to the garage is substantial enough for that level of use - of course, I haven't specified the power rating of any of the proposed new fittings.

I wouldn't intend to do this in one hit, so what would be a suitable first step?

Thanks
Rich

Sponsored Links
I'd like to do a few things in the garden and garage and am seeking advice on what can be done DIY with a thorough research, and what would also need to be assessed by an electrician on the Competent Persons register.
Anything and everything may be done by a DIYer as long as it is done competently.

Some things require notification to Building Control, and for those things there's more to that than "assessment" by a registered electrician.

Please read this: //www.diynot.com/wiki/electrics:part-p

Here's my project list:

1. Add an additional light to the existing garage circuit (both controlled by same switch).
2. Add an additional twin socket in the garage - at the front as the existing one is at the rear.
3. Add a security light to the front of the garage with a PIR.
4. Add uplights to the flower beds and borders.
5. Add an external power socket to be used for powering a laptop/radio/garden equipment.
6. *Optionally* - Provide power for a pond pump.
See Schedule 4. 3-6 are notifiable.

I wouldn't intend to do this in one hit, so what would be a suitable first step?
As you can't have more than one first step, your initial steps, in no particular order, are:
  • Work out the total load, and therefore work out if your 16A circuit is enough.
  • Learn about the legal requirements.
  • Decide where you want the new lights and pumps to be switched.
  • Decide if you want outside electrical items and outlets to be on the same RCD as the rest of the house.
  • Look into circuit design and installation and testing and decide if you want to DIY.

That's a great reply, thanks ban-all-sheds.
I'm not expecting to do points 3-6 until next year so plenty of time for reading.

Sponsored Links
An update...

I have had a quote from a local NAPIT electrician to install the security light with a manual override switch inside the garage. He'll also add some additional sockets in the garage.

He's said it only requires a minor works certificate. I was discouraged to DIY this because it required full Part P sign off, so I'm now a bit confused.

Can anyone clarify?

The notifying of government bodies varies through out the United Kingdom so since you have not said where you live we assume Wales as that has the most stringent at the moment.

However it does no matter were you live the British Standard is the same. BS7671:2008 Amendment 1 is valid throughout the UK. The electrical regulations are not the only regulations which cover the work you list. In England and Wales these are split into Parts and there is one which for example limits the size of outside lights without getting permission from memory 150W.

In an ideal world if you exceed the power the worse that would happen is the automatic disconnection device would open i.e. the MCB will trip. However often you find all is not as it should be and anyone altering the system has to test all from DNO's head to the point where he has altered something. I know often DIY people don't but that does not mean you don't have to.

We see again and again where people want to read into regulations what they want to hear rather than what they say. The Part P which still exists in England says you should follow a set of regulations called BS7671 which in real terms means you need a full test set to do any work.

OK I realise many DIY people don't test and trust to the Lord but that does not mean it's right. People also exceed the 30 MPH speed limit as as with the speed limit where at 33 MPH one would not really worry but at 70 MPH one deserves to get caught the same applies to electrics.

Even a wagon driver will some times exceed the speed limit and likewise so will some electrics break the rules.

As you know, from reading about it last year, all domestic electrical work has to comply with Part P, and some requires Building Regulations sign off.

It's quite possible for work to only require a minor works certificate in terms of Wiring Regulations compliance, but still require notification for Building Regulations compliance because it's in a kitchen, or a special location, or involves work on a special installation.

As you know, from reading about it last year, all domestic electrical work has to comply with Part P, and some requires Building Regulations sign off.
I was being very careful to say "notifying of government bodies" as in the UK the building control has different names according to where you live.

Scotland has never had Part P although it does have government regulations. Don't think called Part P in Northern Island either. Yes there are now government regulations which mean you have to follow BS7671 or similar but not all called Part P.

OK I know the rules don't change until the 6th April 2013 but we really do need posters to say where they live.

And although Part P applies to all domestic electrics most people are only interested in if they have to pay the LABC before doing the work so loosely refer to Part P as being what has to be notified. And to keep reminding people that Part P covers all is being a little pedantic and in this case since no location wrong.

OK I know the rules don't change until the 6th April 2013 but we really do need posters to say where they live.
Given what the OP was asking, I proceeded on the basis that he knew that the E&W Building Regulations applied to him.

And although Part P applies to all domestic electrics most people are only interested in if they have to pay the LABC before doing the work so loosely refer to Part P as being what has to be notified.
Yup - loosely. aka sloppily and incorrectly.

And to keep reminding people that Part P covers all is being a little pedantic
A vitally important reminder, as it is essential that people realise that non-notifiable work must be done to the same standards as notifiable.

and in this case since no location wrong.
No - not only did the OP think that the E&W regulations applied to him, he never came back, after having read all about it, to say they didn't.

I am in England.

I haven't had time, inclination or enough need to delve into all the regulations. I did start but realised that the effort required to make proper sense of it was more than was worth for my own jobs. So I accept that I have to use qualified people.

The frustration comes when qualified people seem to have differing pinions on what, to me, seems like a common and straight forward job. I mean, the current installation is just 1 year old so is pretty much up to date I'd have thought.

So, perhaps this work is not notifiable but it still must conform to the regulations which means testing properly etc. Happy to accept that a qualified person should do that and happy to pay the premium. But if the notify/don't notify requirement is down to opinion then what happens if the LABC have a different opinion.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back