Garage apex felt roof

27 Jan 2010
Reaction score
Buckinghamshire, Darn Sarf
United Kingdom
I have a prefabricated garage in the garden, used as a shed/store. It is 11 feet wide and 13 feet long. The corrugated "asbestos" roof cracked in many places over the hot summer, so I have battened out the steel apex roof supports and re-roofed it with 12mm WBP ply.
I bought 2 rolls of felt underlay, and two of top felt, plus 10 litre of bituminous adhesive.

Given that I am not experienced in roofing I feel blessed that in 2 dry days I managed to get the new roof on and the underlay felt glued down, and extra blessed that, after last nights wind and rain, the roof is still there, and the contents of garage are dry!

Here's my question. I don't have time over the next couple of weeks to lay the top felt. What risks do I run with respect to long term roof performance if I delay the laying of the top felt until spring 2019, given that the weather is unlikely to be good enough Oct - Mar to allow the fixed felt to dry properly and give good adhesion to the under-felt.
Is there anything else I can do to mitigate any negative affects from this delay (I have a tarpaulin, though I suspect that'll be noisy in windy weather, and an annoyance to neighbours too).

Regards MM
Sponsored Links
I doubt you will have any issues waiting till spring.
You could always nail the top sheet on.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links