GARAGE BUILDING REGS, HELP NEEDED!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, hope you dont mind me asking for advice on my first post. I have almost completed building my detached garage, everything apart from tiling the roof is done. Garage measures 6.5x6.5m is a double with two openings, with a pillar in center. I have two 6x4 concrete lintels over each entrance with 6"load bearing. Problem is, i used a piece of 2" timber bedded on top of the lintel for packing to close the gap between lintel and wall plate, so effectively has 4" of wall plate above lintel which will be supporting some rafters. Building control says there needs to be a row of bricks above lintel for the wall plate to sit on, but there was no room for full bricks do to the hight of garage door, i cannot see any gain by using bricks above a lintel but im sure i will be corrected :D If this is the case could anyone suggest a way of overcoming this. The garage is single storey with a 24 degree trussed hip roof, building control admits there is not much load there. Next problem, i built the garage single skin from concrete blocks, but building control are saying i need to build another skin on the inside due to its size. I over did it on the piers at just over 2m centres (limit is 3m) and all my pillars are correct. Apart from the extra hassle and cost i would rather keep it single as i will loose some space inside. Any thoughts on this. Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
Three things

1 You don't need a course of bricks, you can use a piece of timber

2. You don't need double skin walls

3. Paragraphs

You need to ask them why they are asking for these things

Thanks for the quick reply. I will speak to them tommorrow. He has suggested to me that i get some loading figures from the lintel manufacturer and compare them to the weight figures i got from the truss company, hopefully everthing will be ok.

Hi, got some info from the lintel manufacturer and they said are more than strong enough to hold the weight of the roof. Not been in touch with building control as he is on holiday. Just the wall thickness i am still worried about. Cheers

Sponsored Links
Ok thanks. Spoke again to lintel people. They have said they are non composite lintels, so are not reliant on any masonry above. Having to go ahead with roof as roofer cannot wait until tuesday. Fingers crossed, he agrees.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back