Min support of garage lintel?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
Appreciate your views please!

I’m extending my garage forward and want to move my existing double roller door as it’s not very old.

the existing entrance corner pillars are a ‘brick and a half’ so the I beam RSJ sits on 150mm at each side as usual.

unfortunately due to a space issue, I can only really get a ‘one’ brick square pillar at each side if that’s allowable?

The garage extension will only be a flat roof so no real weight above on the new RSJ which I’m aiming to use a 152x89 (16) @ 5.1M long.

brick layout diagram attached below but my question is,
do you think building control regs would allow a 100mm lintel support at each side opposed to 150mm and a reduced corner pillar size as the pic?

not started building yet as it’s in for planning permission but will be expensive to have to buy another new door.

cheers!

94AF046A-D288-4483-BD09-6BEB106DA46E.jpeg

Sponsored Links
That will be fine

thanks ‘Woody’, do hope so!

As it’s a smaller project, If planning is passed, I was going to start it with a ‘building notice’ so I guess when building control inspect the foundation, that’s the time to find out if happy with that.
Everywhere I can find says the 150 is a minimum so thought I was on a loser!

If a normal garage width and you have 200mm or so, you could span it with double timber joists.

You may struggle with that brick corner for other reasons. The inspector may require either at least 665mm or justification calcs from an engineer for the return. I would get this requirement clarified first.

Sponsored Links
If a normal garage width and you have 200mm or so, you could span it with double timber joists.

You may struggle with that brick corner for other reasons. The inspector may require either at least 665mm or justification calcs from an engineer for the return. I would get this requirement clarified first.

I did wonder about the brick corner not being big enough.
It’s a double garage roller door 5m wide.
665 for one corner? That’s 3 bricks wide? the existing is 330 and a brick and half as the drawing.

It's a bit of a poxy rule applied to most domestic builds nowadays, and often to attached garages by some inspectors.

It's a bit of a poxy rule applied to most domestic builds nowadays, and often to attached garages by some inspectors.

Not looking good then! I guess there is a Stantion goal post type option but really overkill and expensive all to save buying a new garage door.

Not looking good then! I guess there is a Stantion goal post type option but really overkill and expensive all to save buying a new garage door.
If you try and speak with the officer who will cover your area, and ask them how they will be interpreting "buttressing on single storey garages, and width of return piers" and they will advise.

Thanks, yes best option is to see what they will accept then. Never simple is it!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back