Garage conversion and gas meter

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

We are looking at having our integral garage converted in the near future. At the moment the garage contains our electricity meter, consumer unit, and gas meter. They are all relatively close to each other and are all on the internal wall of our garage mounted onto a single skin brick wall which is the other side of our hall wall.

The service pipe comes directly from the ground up to our meter. I'm assuming it runs under ground to our drive. It looks like it is metal/copper and not plastic.

Will we need to move this gas meter to an external wall/outside or could we box it in?

I have read alot of contradictory stuff and just wanted to see if anyone could clarify the regs on this scenario.

Cheers

Sponsored Links
You have two choices. Pay the gas network company relevant to your area to move the meter or just box it in. People move it for three reasons -

1: They can afford to and don't mind spending a few notes to shift it
2: Boxing it in might cause a restriction for you what you had planned in the room eg. because a shower needs to go on that wall
3: They just don't like the look of boxing

The gas company tends to move the meter, your plumber does the connection from the meter to the house and your electrician makes sure the earth bonding cable is on the pipe within 2 foot of the meter.

I had a similar situation with my garage. I had to have the Inernal gas pipe lowered as it crossed the new doorway into the garage. Otherwise I just boxed everything in. Building inspector had no issues with this. The only minor drawback is that the meter reader has to walk through the lounge to read the meters instead of just going into the garage.

Did you guys both get building regs for your conversion?

Are builder doesn't think we need to...

Last edited:
Sponsored Links

Yes, you do need Building Regulations (assuming you're in England or Wales, might be different in Scotland). See the Planning Portal for more information, and consider using a different builder who actually knows what they're talking about

In short, yes.

You can either get full regs, they come and visit at intervals or you do it as a building notice if what you're doing is not complicated. If you're confident your builder will do it right, do it as a building notice and they will just do a check at the end. So if they come out and say, "Yup, we put 50mm Kingspan in the floor" and building regs wants 100mm, you're in a bit of a pickle.

Either way, you need regs even if you don't do the above. So when you come to sell the house, you will have to apply for Retrospective regs.

So I would just do it at the start.

Will we need to move this gas meter to an external wall/outside or could we box it in?
'Need' is relative.

If you want a cheapo half job done that will cause endless problems in the future, then by all means box it in and use the builder with no clue about building regulations.

Or do it properly, have both electricity and gas meters relocated outside, apply for building regulations approval and use someone who knows what they are doing.

Yes I had building regs approval. But to be honest, although the inspector visited a few times, he seemed to show very little interest.

The main thing he was concerned about was fire exits from the converted garage. You need to be able to exit the new room without passing through any other room except one which has an external door .e.g a hallway. If this cant be done then you need an opening window large enough to exit through.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back