Garage conversion/building regs??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm planning on converting my existing garage to another living room in the house. The garage is attached to the side of the house and has previously been part converted by previous owners (leaving the front part of the garage original with the garage door still in place so can be used for storage).

Now, I’m planning on pulling the partition stud wall down to open it back up to the original full size then replace the garage door at the front of the house with a wall/window etc.

My Dad is going to be doing the work for me, I’ll assist where I can :D He is not a “professional” builder but is more than capable of doing the work (built his own extension before amongst other things).

I have spoken with my local planning office who have given me an application for for building regulations....... Now, I can either do a "Full Plan" application or a "Building Notice".

I’m not quite sure what the difference is. From what I can gather, if I go the full plan route I have to submit scale drawings and list what we will do to meet the regs? The planning officer then goes through everything and if all is ok then issues an approval notice so we can start work.

If I’m correct, a Building Notice basically means the council doesn’t provide an approval notice so we could just crack on with the work but if we do something that isn’t correct we might have to make changes after an inspection, if the officer/inspector doesn’t like something? Plus with the Building Notice we only have to provide basic drawings?

Sorry for the rather long post but I’m not sure what the better option here is really/what the benefits are between the two. I’m going to check with the council again but haven’t been able to get hold of the guy as yet so thought I would ask on here, should anyone know or indeed carried out similar work and which route you may have gone?

Thanks for any advice ;)

Sponsored Links
If you haven't got a clue what you're doing the full plans (Pre Site Approval) route is the one to take. You need to provide drawings showing the construction and how you will meet the Building Regulations. When you get your approval you will then be able to start on site getting a few inspections along the way.

If you know how you're gonna get approval as you build then the Notice (On Site Approval) route is for you. You're unlikely to need to provide any drawings if you choose this route.

http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/buildingregulations/howtogetapproval/howtogetapproval/

Frankly the whole point is to avoid not having to change things after an inspection but make sure you build it right in the first place.

Many a garage conversion are carried out on a Notice. Take a look in the Building section, Newbies doing their own garage conversions turn up there about 3 times a week!

I'd not bother with the expense of full plans and the need to unnecessarily specify everything and the inevitable queries and amend plan requests from the council

Put a notice in, and read up on the forums for this type of work

You don't actually need a bit of paper with completion certificate written on it, as the records are at the council if need be

Thanks for the info.

I think I will get hold of them again and see, if I go the Building Notice route, if the inspector will come round before we start work to run through a few things.

I asked if foundations will be required for the wall/window which will go up in place of the garage door but they said "well depends whats there at the moment, if concrete (which it is), is it deep enough etc"......... well I don't know mate, your the inspector!! So would be handy if someone comes round first I think to tell us what has to be done.

Whether they do this under a building notice application I'm not sure but no harm in asking I guess. :mrgreen:

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the info.

I think I will get hold of them again and see, if I go the Building Notice route, if the inspector will come round before we start work to run through a few things.

I asked if foundations will be required for the wall/window which will go up in place of the garage door but they said "well depends whats there at the moment, if concrete (which it is), is it deep enough etc"......... well I don't know mate, your the inspector!! So would be handy if someone comes round first I think to tell us what has to be done.

Whether they do this under a building notice application I'm not sure but no harm in asking I guess. :mrgreen:

Building control are not paid to advise or treat you with kid gloves, they're paid to inspect the works. In your wall example it is up to you to provide evidence that the concrete is adequate to support the wall.
That said, many inspectors will be happy to advise newbies but don't go thinking you have a right to expect it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back