Garage Conversion - Costs?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm looking to convert my existing garage (single attached garage) into another habitable room inside the house.

Two thirds of the garage have already been converted into a room and is already accessible from inside the house. This however hasn't been insulated properly so we want to have the existing plasterboard/stud walls removed, remove the dividing stud wall and then open it up to use the full size of the original garage. Then have the front area of the garage (where the existing up and over garage door still remains) bricked up and a window installed.

Obviously then have proper insulation installed, Celotex etc, and then re-plaster boarded.

The first builder we have had come back with a quote for £8,400! This doesn't include having it 100% finished as I have requested it's left ready to plaster as I have someone who can plaster the room for me, then I can fit the coving, skirting etc then paint/decorate.

Does this price seem a bit high? Interested to know if this is the “going rate” from anyone on here who may have had similar work/garage conversion done?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
hi, i managed to do this myself, i converted the back 2 halfs and left the from in its original condition. Im only a diy novice no professional. I got someone in to do electrics and plastering but the rest i managed to do myself. I put in a timber floor on dpm filled with celotex then battened walls out over celotex and platerboarded. It must of cost me max of £1000 in materials. I did enjoy doing it but took a while.

Sponsored Links
hi, i managed to do this myself
So hardly relevant to the OP then! :rolleyes:

well it is if the guy wants to save a few quid and do it himself. i got a few quotes before going along the diy path and they all came up along the 5k mark.

I know what your saying but I don't think I have the DIY skills for doing it all myself.

Originally my Dad was going to be doing the main work for me but unfortunately he has recently found out he has cancer and after 3 months of chemo will need to have quite a major operation which means he will no longer be able to do manual work, hence the reason for starting to look around for a quote to have someone do it for me.

But, at the same time I'm not going to pay over the odds for it to be done. It's only going to be a TV type room.

The builder quoted for using Celotex PL4000/PL4065 for the walls and from what I can gather this stuff is jus dot n dabbed onto the wall (not sure if batons are used) as the plaster board is already attached to the insulation, so surely saving himself even more time?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back